Advanced search

"Educated off site" what does this actually mean?

(22 Posts)
youarenotkiddingme Wed 13-Jul-16 07:35:50

I sont know if anyone can clarify. But I'm sure DS current situation isn't totally correct!

Ds has anxiety, struggled with school, referred to Camhs. Few days off with anxiety and physical sickness because of it.

After an incident involving pupil using a knife he became too anxious to attend.

Originally school said "we expect him there" or unauthorised absense and first day he was too anxious to attend they did this.

Then they emailed to say they authorise DS off rest of term, have provided work via online system and are classing him as educated off site.

But that seems wrong to me because no one is educating him. Ds is doing some work alone and being passed between family members whilst I work.

I would have thought educated off site meant someone with a pressing L qualification was actually educating him?

youarenotkiddingme Wed 13-Jul-16 07:36:23

professional qualification

SnugglySnerd Wed 13-Jul-16 07:40:03

Schools often use that code for children who are ill for longer than a few days e.g. broken leg or something when they send work home. It saves the pupil or the school having a lot of absences on their records.
I wouldn't worry as it's just until the end of term. If it becomes a more long-term situation then school should work with you to find suitable alternative education.

Lilly948204 Wed 13-Jul-16 07:43:14

No it is a term commonly use when I child needs an extended period off school, usually happens with operations etc when an extended recovery period is needed. You child is being educated, he has work being sent to him. If he doesn't understand bits you need to contact his teachers and ask so he doesn't fall behind. It's not reasonable to expect a teacher to turn up at your house and teach him.

MustStopAndThinkBeforePosting Wed 13-Jul-16 07:43:28

What year is DS in?
He has a right to a proper education obviously. Accessing work on a computer at home isn't sufficient in the long run but can be appropriate as a short term measure. You need a meeting with the school to discuss a pathway to get him back into class, and if this isn't satisfactory consider talking to the LEA about places elsewhere.

BrieAndChilli Wed 13-Jul-16 07:46:39

When ds1 had his appendix out the last 2 weeks he was off (had 4 weeks off) was put down as educated off site as he was sent work home /online and he did a couple of bits a day.

youarenotkiddingme Wed 13-Jul-16 07:46:49

Thank you.

It's only til end of term. Have a meeting this evening about September. They are being good and coming to house for it as ds won't even go to school for a meeting.

I didn't expect someone to come here and teach him! I was just checking the situation out as it's more complex than Ive typed here - it's the coding I was wondering about.

BrieAndChilli Wed 13-Jul-16 07:48:15

I wonder if in your case they have done it to prevent the LEA /truancy officer becoming involved at this stage? Maybe they are giving your son some breathing room until September? If they classed the rest of the term as unauthorised you would probably get fined and more involvement from authorities.

StillRabbit Wed 13-Jul-16 07:50:19

We use that code for a child who has a legitimate reason for a prolonged absence from school where they are still completing work as prescribed by the school. If this code isn't used then there is a risk that the child's attendance will fall below the level at which the educational welfare officer becomes involved (the school does not control the EWO.

notagiraffe Wed 13-Jul-16 07:50:37

Your poor DS. Who'd want to go daily to a place where a knife was pulled? How can anyone be expected to learn in such a threatening environment?

honeysucklejasmine Wed 13-Jul-16 08:08:39

Tbf, I am a teacher who does go to pupils homes to teach them. I work for the LA under the medical needs provision. If this looks to be long term come September please do contact the LA and ask about their service.

I teach children with any mental or physical health problem, from anxiety to cancer. All we ask is that the child is engaging with medical treatment, e.g. CAMHS where possible.

Lilly948204 Wed 13-Jul-16 16:46:06

Honey that sounds a very rewarding job, I never knew you could do that but I guess it makes sense.

Mov1ngOn Wed 13-Jul-16 16:48:47

I'd like to do that job honey. I used to be a secondary teacher. Do they advertise in tes/ local govt? Is it attached to a behavioural unit or hospital or called anything particular?

Balletgirlmum Wed 13-Jul-16 16:52:12

I've known that code be used for talented dancers & sportspeople to attend specialist coaching courses eg Royal Ballet Associates.

honeysucklejasmine Wed 13-Jul-16 16:57:27

Mov1ng I got in to it because they worked with a student who was in my class, but had CFS, so wasn't IYKWIM. I was looking to go part time (for health reasons!) and they needed extra teachers. I am not employed by them, I just pick up their extra students when there are too many for their core team. I suppose you could Google "medical needs tuition" and your LA and see if it pops up.

It's a very rewarding job. These kids are desperate to learn, even on their dark days.

LockedOutOfMN Wed 13-Jul-16 19:31:29

We had a student who was acting in a film and had to be absent when the filming was on location so we gave her work and she and her mum could contact the school via email and her mum (who was her chaperone on set) could supervise / check that she did the work. This was categorised as "educated off-site".

Same for those with illness that prevents them coming into school for a week or more, mostly awkward leg or pelvis breaks (our school isn't very wheelchair friendly...and we have many students who love to horseride and ski).

noeuf Wed 13-Jul-16 19:38:18

Nope I need to find the right stuff but you can only I'm sure use that code for something a bit more formal. I need to check (it's to the side of my knowledge) and will post back.

noeuf Wed 13-Jul-16 19:41:51

Page 8.

noeuf Wed 13-Jul-16 19:43:12

If he can't attend school the LA have a duty to provide education after 15(?) days altogether - you need to have evidence. Again I need to dble check the detail.

noeuf Wed 13-Jul-16 19:45:23

Better than me rambling away. 15 school days

youarenotkiddingme Wed 13-Jul-16 21:31:58

Thanks all flowers

When DS attended a sensory course run by OT he was considered educated offsite. That made sense!

Well today's meeting we have got DS to agree to try mornings in Sen base for 2 days next week and then a full day.

Looking to try a managed move in September for him.

Then we'll take it from there.

Saracen Thu 14-Jul-16 00:53:39

Yes, they aren't allowed to use that code in this circumstance. Not your problem unless you particularly mind the fact they are trying to cover up the situation.

If problems continue next year, the school must inform the LA so they can assess your son's provision and decide whether current arrangements are adequate. They should do this as soon as it appears likely that he will miss a total of 15 days in the year, not necessarily for one illness and not necessarily continuously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now