Talk

Advanced search

All round scholarship

(8 Posts)
Hannahadg Mon 04-Jul-16 19:28:47

My daughter is thinking of doing a 13+ all round scholar ship including academic, art and sports does anyone have any advise especially on art and sports.
Thank you .

Clonakiltylil Mon 04-Jul-16 19:30:04

To which schools are you applying?

Hannahadg Mon 04-Jul-16 19:33:04

A secondary privet girls school in Oxfordshire called St. Helens and St Katherine's

SAHDthatsall Tue 05-Jul-16 10:30:46

Don't know the schools, but from what I have seen for sports scholarships you do need to be a high standard such that you would make a difference to at least one of the school teams - ie County standard. And get accompanying letters of recommendation from Club and County coaches etc.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 05-Jul-16 10:38:54

The girls applying to SHSK at 13+ will be coming from a relatively small number of prep schools who will be very experienced at prepping for scholarships. The academic level expected is high, they will have a portfolio of art work and likely to be competing outside of school in at least one sport. They are also going to expect at least one if not two musical instruments.
Having meet scholars when I looked round the school they are also looking for confident out going girls who are going to be ambassadors for the schools.
Competition will be tough (but not impossible).

1805 Wed 06-Jul-16 18:18:35

I think for sports element you need to be county or district level. Art will like others have said be full of prep school portfolios. Academics are strong at St Helens.
Also, most girls join at 11+(y7), with a few starting in y5. I don't know how many girls they take at 13+.
Is she at prep school? How have they advised you?
Why just St Helens though?

Pythonesque Thu 07-Jul-16 06:16:10

St Helens has a meaningful 13+ intake, it was one of the schools we looked at. Can't help on the all-rounder front, but don't be put off by the person suggesting you need music as well as usually this type of scholarship needs you to present several areas but not every single one.

bojorojo Thu 07-Jul-16 14:06:09

Surely the school is advising you? If you are in a state school, these scholarships are very difficult to attain because you do not have prep school expertise behind you. Scholarships are the busines of prep schools and it is taken seriously, and so is the preparation for the scholarship children. Some scholarship exams at senior schools are different from the "normal" CE or entry exams and are taken earlier in the year. This is because the successful children can decide whether they wish to accept and not go ahead with CE and follow up applications to other schools. Some scholarships are dependent on CE results though. If your Dd is at a prep school, talk to them, urgently!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now