Good behaviour trip

(9 Posts)
ChunkyHare Sat 02-Jul-16 20:53:13

My son's school organises a trip to reward children for their good behaviour.

They are offered 2 places to visit, a theme park and a wildlife park. For the past 2 years my son has been forced to go on the wildlife park trip because he hates theme parks. He has no friends on this wildlife trip (same children for last 2 years) and is forced to walk round in a group of people he has nothing in common with as they are not allowed to walk around alone. He doesn't want to do this a 3rd time.

As the wildlife park is relatively close we have visited many, many times ourselves as a family in the past.

If he were to attend the theme park, he would spend time queueing with friends then using the "chicken exit" which would be humiliating and a waste of money.

The children who have been in isolation are not allowed on the trip and are in school for the day and are made to do work. I don't feel my son should be in school with all the misbehaving children whilst all his friends are off having fun for the day.

My dilemma is do I contact school and tell them I wish to keep him home on that day? I think it is unfair that his choices are very limited considering this is meant to be a reward. What would you do?

Mishaps Sat 02-Jul-16 21:00:59

Time for a quick sicky I think!

ChunkyHare Sat 02-Jul-16 21:02:54

Hmm, can't get out of paying the £25 as it will be on the parent pay, so I'd have to make out he was staying in school and then pull the sicky.

Should I brazen it out and tell school he is staying home and swallow the unauthorised?

purplevase4 Sat 02-Jul-16 21:11:22

You can get out of paying, just don't pay. We have an online system but I can top up cash cards etc without having to pay anything else, even if it's on his account eg music lessons or trip fees so if I want to top up his cash card but don't have the money for eg a trip deposit at that time, I just top up the cash card.

AnecdotalEvidence Sat 02-Jul-16 23:06:58

I would just tell them that he won't be in that day

ChunkyHare Sat 02-Jul-16 23:20:16

Thanks, it is so hard to know what the best thing to do is and not piss off the school at the same time.

Wolfiefan Sat 02-Jul-16 23:23:58

Isn't there anything he would enjoy at the theme park? He's hardly being forced! Surely he can enjoy the day even if he's not with his best friends?!

ChunkyHare Sat 02-Jul-16 23:57:22

His best mate is going to the theme park, but my son doesn't like any of the rides there.

I am a theme park junkie, I love it all, but I know my shy, introverted son and he would be ridiculed by other people from his school if he queued for 45mins - 1 hour with his mates for every ride and then had to use the chicken exit.

This isn't just his year group going, it's the whole bloody school.

Also having just come back from Florida and Disneyworld and Universal, I know exactly what rides he can handle and what he can't.

CodyKing Sun 03-Jul-16 00:02:22

Just say he has an appointment - job done

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now