Talk

Advanced search

Move to catchment area

(7 Posts)
10plusgramer Thu 30-Jun-16 19:44:20

Hi Everyone. At the moment I am living in Portsmouth and wanted to move to Highwycombe. My son will be siting in 11plus grammar school test Next year.I want to move as late as possible as after move I will be travelling everyday to Portsmouth. Could someone let me know what is the latest date I should move. My current plan is April 2017.

mummytime Thu 30-Jun-16 20:07:59

You are seriously going to commute daily from High Wycombe to Portsmouth?????

How long do you think that will take? Will you've travelling on the A3? Travelling through the Hindhead Tunnel? Past Guildford? Never mind m25.

You must be mad, grammar school is not worth it, and there are excellent schools far closer to Portsmouth.

titchy Thu 30-Jun-16 20:15:13

Secondary applications have to be submitted end October. You need to be in HW by then.

Portsmouth to HW - do you know where HW is? You're looking at spending 6 hours a day commuting.

HPFA Thu 30-Jun-16 20:44:36

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more? You can't honestly think that what your son will gain from a grammar school will be worth the serious risk of having a completely exhausted mother? Unless there's more to this than you're telling us I have to agree with mummytime, this sounds completely mad!

TeenAndTween Thu 30-Jun-16 21:15:46

Maybe move to Chandlers Ford near Southampton into the Thornden catchment. Commute along the M27.

tiggytape Thu 30-Jun-16 22:45:49

Deadlines for secondary school applications are October 31st at the start of Year 6.

Sometimes council have a short period of grace for people moving to a new area after October - perhaps a month or so at the very most.

It is worth checking if the admission area has any such period of grace but otherwise you would need to have both moved and applied by October 31st.

If you miss the deadline (or period of grace if there is one) then your application will be considered last after all others who applied on time which means you probably won't get a place at the school you want initially and would be dependent on waiting list movement. That seems a huge risk for all that effort so an early move is the only real way.

LocalEditorMerton Sat 02-Jul-16 14:19:22

There are grammar schools in nearby Wilts, and even the ones in SW London (in Sutton and Kingston) would be much more convenient for a daily Portsmouth commute, would they not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now