Talk

Advanced search

Taking Year 10/11 child out of English education system and moving to Scotland?

(3 Posts)
OyWithThePoodles Fri 24-Jun-16 13:03:17

I’ve wanted to ask this question on Mumsnet for a while ... Has anyone moved their child from England to Scotland during their secondary school education and how did it go?

DD (15) is finishing her first year of GCSEs and I’m wondering if it would be a possibility to move to Scotland after she’s finished her GCSEs and have her sit Highers there. Has anyone done this and how did it work out? I’m Scottish with parents and other family still in Scotland and my long term plan was to move back once DD was in further education (or working), but … today I’m wondering whether it might not disrupt her education totally if she did her final two years of school in Scotland?

I'm just feeling in view of recent events that it might be better for all of us to go back asap ...?

N21mummy Fri 24-Jun-16 19:37:26

Hi,
I recently moved the other way and my eldest is in his first year of GCSE in London having been in Scotland up until then. I've also taught in Scottish and now London secondary schools. The curriculum for GCSE is remarkably similar to Scottish across subjects, the only real difference is the names of grading and levels, especially now with the new 1-9 at GCSE. I honestly don't think it would be much of a transition, particularly as Highers, as you know, provide a broader curriculum than A-Level. The main issue I would find going from English to Scottish systems would be choosing a school based on data available, as Oftsed data is more rigorous than Scottish inspectorate. Having said that, as you're going home, you probably have a good idea of which school you'd want! Hope this helps :-)

OyWithThePoodles Sat 25-Jun-16 14:34:52

Thanks NW1! Really reassuring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now