Talk

Advanced search

11+

(5 Posts)
keer Thu 16-Jun-16 14:27:21

Could anyone tell me what was St Olaves writing topic in 2015?

PettsWoodParadise Thu 16-Jun-16 18:26:01

You could try PM people whose DSs sat last year on the Elevenplusexams forum as that is very active. DD sat for Newstead so I can't help you as they don't do a written piece. However I would caution against getting too focused on one aspect of the written task like the topic it was on as it is unlikely to be repeated and so the information may be more of a hindrance than a help. It is more the skills you need to have such as good vocabulary, spelling, structure etc. If you are also sitting Bexley and Kent then PM then I can give DD's experience from last year.

layercake9 Mon 20-Jun-16 10:28:57

Hi Keer,

Both the comprehension and writing topic for 2015 were based on a passage taken from the book "A Monster Calls" by Patrick Ness. The writing task was to continue/complete the story. The most important element of the passage is that the 'monster' itself is actually a metaphor for the main character's mother's cancer or possibly death. Unfortunately, many boys didn't pick up on the metaphor.

For 2014, both comprehension and essay task was based on a character named Dr. Knox, a plastic surgeon, a group of body snatchers, set in Edinburgh. The passage was taken from "Fleshmarket" by Nicola Morgan.

If you look at past sample papers which are based on actual papers in the past, these include excerpts from Grahame's "The Wind in the Willows" and "The Call of the Wild" by Jack London.

The key is to be able to plan and write a creative writing piece within a 30+ minutes time frame, 2-pages long and making sure that all the checklist/criteria set by Olaves are included.

keer Tue 21-Jun-16 08:51:05

Thanks for your information which is really helpful.

keer Tue 21-Jun-16 08:58:03

Could you also tell me what type of verbal and non verbal book he can practice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now