Talk

Advanced search

Exam stress

(7 Posts)
Feeeeee Thu 16-Jun-16 12:58:22

Hi my dd is in y10, dd has sat core science and some controlled assessments over the last few weeks. Dd has not coped at all with the pressure, has been panicking, crying, not sleeping properly and not eating while at school. I have spoke with her tutor a couple of times, have also spoke with all her teachers, nothing is being done! my worry is if she's not coping now how will she cope next year?? Any suggestions on where to turn to and what help should be available at school.

Thanks.

RedHelenB Thu 16-Jun-16 13:05:39

Definitely go back to school and speak again to head of year/learning mentor. Try yourself to relieve pressure on her. Does she know how she's done on these assessments?

Autumnsky Thu 16-Jun-16 13:12:29

Beside seek help from school, you may try to talk to her , try to convince her that doing her best is enough, no matter what the result is . I think the ability to deal this stress is important, as there will be similar things come along in future .

Also, a regular exercise which she enjoys might help, like Yoga, taichi, or dancing etc.

Feeeeee Thu 16-Jun-16 13:17:35

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I have just got off the phone to the school I am waiting for a call back, have a phone consultation with the doctors on Monday.
She Wont know her science till August, doesn't know history but has an A in Spanish.
I have been trying but it's just so hard as I don't know how best to deal with her, everything I have tried just doesn't seem to help.

Feeeeee Thu 16-Jun-16 13:26:54

Hi
trouble is dd has no confidence in her own ability, she works hard and achevies all the time, but all it takes is that 1 question that she doesn't know and she panics then says she can't do any of the test. All I ask of her is she does her best and that her best is good enough.

Unfortunately dd has just given up all her sports, sports she has been doing since she was 3 years old, I have tried to convince her to go back or try something new but she just isn't interested anymore.

RedHelenB Thu 16-Jun-16 13:32:55

Well the A in Spanish proves she can do it My dad always used to say to me the examiners want to see what you do know not what you don't. I am struggling to think of anyone who put the work in and ended up achieving below their capabilities, maybe by a grade or so but mostly the hard workers do get the results.

TizerEliza Thu 16-Jun-16 15:09:50

How is she coping whist at school? It may be that she's not showing the same level of stress at school than she is at home. My yr10 DD has anxiety and finds the controlled assessments incredibly stressful. DD's school are quite supportive but she does have to ask when she needs it. By supportive I mean they don't put any pressure on her to achieve (she does enough of that herself) and tell her as long as she tries that's all they ask.

To be honest though the best person to mange it is her! You just need to help her find strategies to deal with the anxiety. Why does she feel the need to get everything right? Will her future career be over if she doesn't get an A/A*? Is she scared of letting the teachers down? What, if anything, does your DD feel would help her in school? Before you contact the head of year, find out what would help her then ask the school if they can accommodate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now