Talk

Advanced search

Optional School Jumper

(17 Posts)
user1465759802 Sun 12-Jun-16 20:48:10

I am looking for some guidance. My DD has recently moved school and as such we ordered all the items of uniform on the list including the optional school jumper. To cut a long story short, our daughter is refusing to wear it (It was £21). She says that in the summer months no one wears one. We agree that this is probably the case but have said in the winter we would like her to wear it for warmth. I know in 4/5 months from now we are going to have another argument about her not wanting to wear it. It raised an interesting thought...Who has the final say on optional uniform items, the parent or the child? I am keen to know what other parents think.

AuntieStella Sun 12-Jun-16 20:52:56

In secondary school?

It's up to the pupil.

biscuitkumquat Sun 12-Jun-16 20:57:05

Even if you make your DD leave the house wearing it, the chances of her not taking it off & stuffing it in her bag, is probably slim to none.

DS' school are very strict on uniform, but none of the pupils were their sweater.

SavoyCabbage Sun 12-Jun-16 21:01:59

My dd started secondary in January because we moved from Australia. It was thirty something degrees when we left but she wouldn't wear the school jumper here.

She couldn't be doing with all the layers or thinking about where to put it ŵhen she took it off. And I think it's up to her. She is more than old enough at twelve to decide for herself.

You aren't going to recoup the money you spent on the jumper if she wears it. It's spent whether she wears it or not.

BertPuttocks Sun 12-Jun-16 21:03:24

I think the child should have the final say if it's an optional item. She's old enough to know whether she feels too warm or too cold.

If the new school is anything like our local ones, hardly anyone will be wearing a jumper.

noblegiraffe Sun 12-Jun-16 22:44:00

Why would she, or anyone, be wearing a jumper in the summer?

Kids might start wearing them in the winter. They don't usually wear coats.

angelcake20 Mon 13-Jun-16 00:54:48

My year 8 DS has never worn the optional jumper we bought when he started secondary. He would if I told him to but I feel a 13 year old is able to decide themselves whether they are too cold or not. About 50% of his classmates wear them; it doesn't seem to be a trend thing. I find it amusing as he had to be ordered to take his jumper off at primary when it was over 25°C.

minatiae Mon 13-Jun-16 01:20:12

If you make her wear it, it will get 'lost' at school. It's not a battle worth fighting. Keep it until she decides she wants it, which she no doubt will after a few days of being cold.

ealingwestmum Mon 13-Jun-16 11:12:54

Bought 3 at start of Y7 - never got worn. Ever. Is a blazer part of her uniform too? If so, the extra layers just over cook some kids or they feel too restrained.

I'd go with her on this one. Save your battles for the important ones...

LemonBreeland Mon 13-Jun-16 11:17:44

DS1 started high school this year. I bought him one jumper and it has been worn once. I have a deal with him that he will wear a coat if it is below 6 degrees. Otherwise he will only wear shirt and tie. He doesn't feel cold. At 12 he is old enough to know what to wear.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Mon 13-Jun-16 11:20:46

DS is just coming to the end of yr 7. He has worn the optional jumper twice IIRC. I'm happy for him not to bother, it's one less item for him to lose.

AnotherUsernameBitesTheDust Mon 13-Jun-16 11:27:26

My DSs school has an optional jumper. My eldest said he never ever saw anyone wearing it. I've never seen anyone wearing one. My y7 never wears one, I asked if they wanted one and they said no.

I do have children that will wear coats in winter though.

I wouldn't make her wear it. She'll only take it off when she's round the corner and stuff it in her bag.

BertrandRussell Mon 13-Jun-16 12:05:02

It depends. Does she have some medical condition that means she can't regulate or judge her own body temperature?

redskytonight Mon 13-Jun-16 12:40:47

DS has not worn a school jumper since Y1.
Why on earth would I force him to? Assuming children have to wear blazers at the school, they are probably quite warm enough without!

eyebrowse Mon 13-Jun-16 13:04:10

She won't need it for the Summer but might need it in the winter - depends if she feels the cold or has a long walk to get to school

HangingRockPicnic Mon 13-Jun-16 13:08:57

Dd is the opposite. The jumper and blazer is compulsory in Autumn and Spring term, but in summer the blazer and jumper are optional. My dd keeps wearing them both anyway though, even when we've had hot weather.

bruffin Mon 13-Jun-16 13:18:08

At dds school the jumper is optional. I have never ever seen a boy where the jumper but all the girls do in cold weather. DD ended up pinching ds's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now