Talk

Advanced search

Weekend and holiday revision sessions in year 10 - normal or unusual?

(9 Posts)
MyballsareSandy2015 Sat 11-Jun-16 10:49:00

DD had to go into school for a day during half term and I've just dropped her off now, due home about 3.

Interested in how many other schools do this in year 10, I understand it more in year 11.

Balletgirlmum Sat 11-Jun-16 10:50:53

Wouldn't be possible for us. We are often away during half term & have other activities at weekends.

fourcorneredcircle Sat 11-Jun-16 11:02:24

Unusual for Y10. Is she entered early for anything? Or does she have MFL controlled assessments coming up or a science ISA she's missed/coming up?

AnecdotalEvidence Sat 11-Jun-16 13:30:54

Unusual in yr10, common in yr11. Unless there is aspecific reason for them.
They are optional though.

MyballsareSandy2015 Sat 11-Jun-16 17:52:16

RE GCSE early so that explains one, but art is the other and not until next year

mssmithsona Sat 11-Jun-16 18:17:22

Because of the massive changes in GCSEs starting next year, lots of schools are having to ramp up their mock exams etc, so there is much more pressure on year 10s this year. I'm a secondary teacher and I know that my school is doing official mocks in preparation for the changes.
Some subjects may be getting students to do coursework etc earlier than usual to give them less stress next year. Or potentially give them plenty of time to redo them.

Unfortunately the changes to education system mean that this is only going to get worse confused

goodbyestranger Sat 11-Jun-16 20:22:49

None of my DC have ever had any half term or weekend revision sessions even though all except one took GCSEs in Y10. There should be more than enough time for everything which needs to be done to be done in the ordinary school term. Teacher's should have their holidays ring-fenced too.

Decorhate Sun 12-Jun-16 07:22:19

With Art, perhaps they are behind with coursework?

Minime85 Sun 12-Jun-16 08:24:41

Art often have to do sessions on a Saturday and in holidays as all coursework base. Maybe doing it now so won't have to in year 11 as kids get pulled in year 11 by so many directions and subjects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now