Talk

Advanced search

Maths KS3 textbook

(6 Posts)
SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Tue 07-Jun-16 15:20:48

Can anyone recommend a good textbook to use for tutoring year 7 going into year 8? I've used the online MyMaths resources and like them, but won't be able to use them for private tutoring. I note they've published textbooks and they look pretty good but pricy. Any pearls of wisdom, anyone?

noblegiraffe Tue 07-Jun-16 17:41:02

Essential Maths are ok, they have lots of questions (not good for worked examples though).

Avoid Formula One like the plague.

Mominatrix Tue 07-Jun-16 17:47:59

Take a look at the Galore park website. I'd also look at this website. Although it is a US site, you can purchase the on-line pre-algebra book. It is a fantastic book and presents the material in a less prescriptive way than the way general pre-algebra is taught in the UK.

SAHDthatsall Tue 07-Jun-16 19:26:53

DS textbook I just found is STP Maths with a number 7 on it. He's Year 7. I've no idea how much they've followed it but they've virtually finished it apparently.

www.amazon.co.uk/STP-Mathematics-Third-Brian-Bostock/dp/1408523787

Hope that helps!

nicp123 Wed 08-Jun-16 00:32:39

I would recommend two Maths books (New Curriculum) new edition from Amazon.
1. " Edexcel GCSE ( 9-1) Mathematics-Higher-Student Book"... a bit expensive but has over 700 pages packed with great challenges & tips for exams, can be used under the tutor's guidance.
My second suggestion is
" Edexcel GCSE (9 - 1) Mathematics Higher -Practice, Reasoning and Problem-solving Book" which is a cheaper book but can be used by your child independently as work extension.
Both books are by PEARSON
ISBN 978-1-4479-8020-9
ISBN 978-1-4479-8360-6

My DS said the format of both books is very interesting and he loves the 'Hints, Strategies & Suggestions' found on every page.
Hope it helps. Good luck!

nicp123 Wed 08-Jun-16 00:36:16

The progression age for the books suggested above is 11 - 19.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now