Talk

Advanced search

Secondary school appeal - help needed deciphering sen figures

(5 Posts)
HeyMacWey Mon 06-Jun-16 12:13:43

Secondary school appeal is looming and have received the schools case.

They've outlined the sen numbers but split them into two groups; statements/ehcp and AS (k).

I've no idea what AS(K) means.

They haven't given the numbers of staff supporting these children either.

Percentage of children with sen is below 10% in each year group - that seems pretty low to me or is that about average?

Thank in advance!

PatriciaHolm Mon 06-Jun-16 12:50:05

Code K refers to children with additional support needs but no statement or EHC.

Overall, some 15% of pupils at schools in England have an identified special educational need, so 10% is below the national average, though many schools will have higher % and many much lower.

HeyMacWey Mon 06-Jun-16 12:56:14

Thank you - so is a code k assessed child less likely to have a lsa allocated to them or would it be additional support for specific subjects?

Just trying to get my head round it all.

tiggytape Mon 06-Jun-16 13:09:01

This level of support used to be called School Action and School Action Plus - and you are right, these children are less likely to have a lsa.

They are children who have identified additional needs at a lower level than those with a statement or ehcp (although that can be debatable because some areas statemented far more readily than others)
They may have a plan of action at school to help them target specific areas and, as such, may sometimes do group work or some individual work but usually without having a lsa specifically for them.
Some may have help from other professionals too such a Speech and Language Therapists or Occupational Therapists )this is what used to be called School Action Plus).

In 2013 (when 3 main categories were called: Statemented children, School Action and School Action plus) the total national school average for all 3 categories was about 18.5%
For just those with a statement or on School Action Plus (so excluding the School Action group) the national average was 11%

HeyMacWey Mon 06-Jun-16 15:20:07

Thank you - that's a brilliant explanation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now