private tutor woes

(9 Posts)
byjimminey Sun 05-Jun-16 14:17:32

Hello

Just having a bit of a rant really. I've had a tutor for around 4 months for my child taking exams at the moment. Given that it took me a fair while to find someone and it being fairly close to exams I don feel I was ever in the position to go off searching for another one. She has quite regularly rearranged times/not been in contact to arrange sessions. I didn't mind so much in the beginning as I felt we could ramp things up a bit intensively in the couple of months before exams and also, if I ever needed to rearrange it would make it easier for me to do so without feeling guilty. I think in the whole time I have rearranged once.

To cut a long story short I'm really upset that despite cancelling a few weeks ago with very short notice and telling me she would absolutely be available this week that has just passed she has once again let us down. We had booked in 2 lessons with talk of perhaps fitting an other 1 or 2 lessons in. We both wrote the days and times down so I felt sure the lessons would happen. Well, guess what. It turns out she had totally different days written down (hmm) and that she ended up going away at the last minute for virtually the whole week. Cue us sitting at the table one day waiting for her arrival. So she gets back in touch, no apologies, but offers us a slot she can make. I agree to it (I'm desperate by now!). 2 hours before the lessons she cancels. Again, no apology. She suggests yet another day. I again am really irate but also really really keen for a lesson so I agree and ask for times. I have now sent 2 texts asking if the lesson will actually happen and when but guess what? No response. The exam is in a few days now. I wonder if she realises how many days I have set aside for her an rearranged things to fit in with her for absolutely no reason. Probably not. Why set yourself up as a tutor (and charge rates I can barely afford) if you aren't going to take it seriously?

Rant over. Thanks!

catslife Mon 06-Jun-16 09:18:09

I am not surprised you are annoyed. Most tutors would not behave in this way and would make students who were about to take exams as their top priority. Cancelling without a reason really isn't acceptable(for either the tutor or the student) and most tutors would have a clear policy about this.
Where did you find this tutor? If you obtained their details via one of the tutoring websites you can leave feedback or a review stating the problems you have had.

byjimminey Mon 06-Jun-16 18:16:13

Hello

Thanks a lot for replying back. I think I have now left 5 messages but have had no response. It was on a tutoring website that I found her. Its quite annoying as the search for a tutor can and did take quite a while so when you find one, you don't really want the hassle and expense of having to find another one. I have contacted the website and let them know my thoughts!

Quickqu Mon 06-Jun-16 19:30:58

If it's any consolation our tutor is exactly the same and it drives me mad.

You are not alone!

byjimminey Mon 06-Jun-16 20:04:47

hah! I wonder if we share the same one Quikqu. Interesting, as its usually tutors complaining about their tutees.

redhat Mon 06-Jun-16 20:07:49

we also had a tutor just like this (also from a website) and the one before that cancelled at the last minute at the start of a crucial period leaving us in completely in the lurch (also from a website).

Quickqu Mon 06-Jun-16 20:46:30

Ours is a man, byjimminey, but honestly we suffer the bloody same thing!

What kills me is having to be so polite to him every time he cancels.

'No honestly that's fine, see you next week!'

GRRR

RedHelenB Tue 07-Jun-16 08:38:59

Which subject? If it's sciences there are some good online tutorials

swingofthings Tue 07-Jun-16 16:46:46

Where did you find her? Wherever that was, I would ensure to write a negative report (ie. a truthful one). It won't help your DC unfortunately, but such excuse of a teacher doesn't deserve a good reputation. It's disgraceful to feel no shame letting down a pupil who clearly needed extra help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now