colchester secondary schools advice

(3 Posts)
Carol77 Sun 29-May-16 08:37:34

Possible move to colchester with 13 yearold and 16 year old.
One will need collge,6 form or an apprenticeship working with horses/farriership. the other will need a good secondary school.
Hubby needs to commute to london, looking for semi rural village on edge colchester. Any recommedations...Want to decide on area after i've found schools . Thx c

Essexmum69 Sun 29-May-16 21:18:28

-secondary schools in Colchester, I would consider Stanway school, Philip Morant, The Gilbert or St Benedicts (if Catholic). The only one of those with a large rural catchment is Stanway. But at age 13 you are going to be an in year applicant so it doesnt matter where you are living if there is a space.
- My choice for a village would be West Bergholt, which is a short drive to Colchester North station, but if you want a walkable commute to a station for London then Marks Tey would be worth considering.
- For your 16 year old DC the options in Colchester are Colchester Sixth firm College for IB or A levels or Colchester Institute for vocational courses. Easten and Otley college is good for "rural courses" and may have something horse related. There is a bus from Colchester centre to the Otley campus.

Essexmum69 Sun 29-May-16 21:21:41

Writtle college near Chelmsford would also fit the horse brief. Not sure about transport from Colchester though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now