Parents of Year 11s - the end is in sight

(1000 Posts)
228agreenend Fri 27-May-16 22:43:32

Hello everyone, new thread for the final push.

ExitPursuedByADonkey Fri 27-May-16 22:47:29

Oh I may have been the last poster on the previous thread. Strangely proud.

Icouldbeknitting Fri 27-May-16 22:52:47

I tried to get in as 998 but I was too slow, when I hit "post" the thread was closed.

littledrummergirl Fri 27-May-16 22:53:55

Exit I would but there is only peach (yuk) cider left. I think I can polish my halo. halo the sacrifices we make for our dc. grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 27-May-16 23:01:09

Just in time 228. thanks!
No alarms set for tomorrow. Bliss!

NicknameUsed Fri 27-May-16 23:21:10

DD has been out all evening and is going to a music festival tomorrow before going back to the revision slog on Sunday.

Thunderblunder Fri 27-May-16 23:23:10

We've had 2 major breakdowns in the past week alone. Half term couldn't have come soon enough. DD2 is a borderline grade C student so is finding exam season very stressful.

maxtrue Fri 27-May-16 23:43:23

OMG!

Ladies I need to vent....beyond angry

Had a brilliant time at the Graduation do at dd's school, blubbered my way through (I wasn't the only one). An amazing Adele song sung by a girl who could and should go on x factor, by this time I sneaked a look and even the dads had eye water situations going on! Incredible talent and speeches, a great afternoon.....we had him off bake off and her off apprentice
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/20/the-apprentice-2015-april-jackson-usain-bolt-romance-relationship_n_8335542.html

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2442165/Great-British-Bake-Off-accused-favouritism-female-contestants.html

So roll on tonight at mates house having a few voddy's when her dd says look at twitter - this is what the nasty April wrote -

Genuinely traumatised by the way the girls were dressed at their graduation from weaves to cleavages, heels to crop tops it was shocking!

Well some pretty quick witted tweets back at her but I am just beyond angry at this person who was invited to come and inspire the next generation of women not slate them.

Of course 16 year old girls are going to have weaves - she likes a bun on her head, crop tops - she prefers bikinis, high heels - omg the shock!!!!

Not bothered if I out myself over this as I feel so strongly about this....should I calm the fuck down? Please dont tell me to calm down - maybe tomorrow!

thesockgap Fri 27-May-16 23:48:12

I missed the last thread (only found it today!) but hope it's not too late for me to join in with this one?
DS1 is at the midway point in his GCSEs now, both in terms of papers sat (15 done and 15 left) , and time (2 weeks down and 2 more to go).
Most of these first 15 have been very positive smile in particular he's feeling good about Latin and Maths, but also the Biology paper that everyone was complaining about, and French, he seems to think went well. On the other hand, he's sat 2 WJEC English Lit papers this week and thinks both were a disaster. I've had to spend half of today comforting him and reassuring him that a) if he thought they were hard, chances are lots of other people thought the same thing; b) it doesn't matter too much as to get into sixth form he only has to have 5 A*to B including Maths and English, but I'm presuming this means English Language not English Lit? So if he doesn't make a B in Lit, then it's no big deal. And c) at least he'll never have to do English Lit again after today!
His group did Of Mice and Men and poetry comparison on Monday, and An Inspector Calls and Resistance today. Out of all 4 texts, he only feels remotely confident on An Inspector Calls. He had a bit of a meltdown after this morning's exam and was really beating himself up but I think he puts too much pressure on himself.
Anyway I'm waffling..... I've told him to chill for today and tomorrow and pick up the revision again on Sunday. Once he goes back after half term it's just another 2 weeks of exams and he finishes on 17th June.

As an aside, are anyone's DCs doing NCS this summer? My boy is going from 27th June (thus missing his prom - something he's actually not at all bothered about!) and is really looking forward to it!

littledrummergirl Fri 27-May-16 23:54:05

My ds1 is doing NCS this year. Hopefully it will take his mind off the wait.

ExitPursuedByADonkey Fri 27-May-16 23:54:17

You have a graduation with slebs?!?

And what's a weave?

ExitPursuedByADonkey Fri 27-May-16 23:56:30

Dd didn't fancy NCS. She wants to spend the summer chilling with the horse. Well, doing dressage which isn't exactly chilling.

dowhatnow Sat 28-May-16 00:30:04

Did wanted to do it but the dates weren't any good for us. Such a shame, it sounded really good and great for the CV.

ShanghaiDiva Sat 28-May-16 04:18:45

No half term for Ds next week as we have a long weekend starting 9th June for the dragon boat holiday.
Hope everyone has a great half term week with time to revise, relax and recharge batteries.
Ds is back on timetable next week for AS courses as he doesn't finish school until 8th July.

TheDrsDocMartens Sat 28-May-16 07:01:42

maxtrue that's awful to be invited somewhere and then slag them off.
( I don't know what a weave is either exit)

.Welcome thesockgap smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 28-May-16 07:46:29

I think a weave is where you get extra hair added to your own? Sounds like an extraordinary event Maxtrue. I hope you feel calmer tonight, it sounds like she was suffering from drunken jealousy.

No NCS for dd but she will spend some time volunteering. Mostly she will be chilling though. A rare opportunity to be siezed with both hands.

Welcome Sock! it sounds like your ds is putting himself under a lot of pressure.

I think dd plans to just sleep today.

ExitPursuedByBear Sat 28-May-16 07:59:56

I want a dragon boat holiday. envy. Sounds much more exciting than Spring Bank.

dragon⛵️

TheSecondOfHerName Sat 28-May-16 08:04:39

Yay! Half term! DS1 went to a gig last night because his friend was in the band, then stayed over at another friend's house.

He has worked reasonably hard (for him) over the last few days, so I'm happy for him to have a couple of days off.

TheSecondOfHerName Sat 28-May-16 08:06:16

He hasn't signed up for NCS as he wants to apply for summer jobs.

NicknameUsed Sat 28-May-16 08:11:17

A lot of the girls at DD's school dress as maxtrue describes outside of school, but even on non uniform occasions they aren't allowed to wear crop tops or show a lot of cleavage. I don't think anyone has hair extensions either. There are 270 students in DD's year and the school hall isn't big enough for students and parents so we don't get invited to the leaver's assembly.

sn0wdr0p4 Sat 28-May-16 08:12:48

DD is in school this morning. She has a science revision session. Hope everything will be ok because last night she found out that her fantastic and supportive science teacher has been maliciously accused of an inappropriate relationship with a pupil.
Not sure if I should be posting about this but both me and DD are very upset about what's happened. This teacher is the main reason my DD has survived the exams so far.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 28-May-16 08:15:50

snowdrop that's awful. I know a teacher that happened to. In court the case crumbled and he was able to return to teaching. It was a grim time.

No room for parents in leavers assembly here either.

needastrongone Sat 28-May-16 08:22:53

Oh dear Max, try not to let it spoil an otherwise lovely evening that created special memories.

Dressage Exit, we are mounted games. DD and me are going this afternoon for the weekend to a Game Fair for the weekend, the team are competing over 4 sessions. I have my eye on a new bridle for the pony, and DD wants to get him some boots. We are often in a field over the weekend, shopping opportunities add extra excitement.

DS had leavers assembly, but like Nick, there are 270 pupils in Y11 so no invitation. However, he did bring home an envelope which contained a note from his HT and Deputy, his Y7 and Y11 tutor group photos, and his 'All about Me' booklet that they had to fill in when they were in Y6 and was passed to the school. I thought that was lovely actually. You forget they are just babies really when they start secondary.

needastrongone Sat 28-May-16 08:23:49

Snow, sorry, we crossed posted. That's a difficult and stressful situation indeed.

needastrongone Sat 28-May-16 08:25:03

Ha - I didn't check my post and it is written really badly, apologies.

This thread is not accepting new messages.