Advanced search

If parents are divorced, etc which address do you use?

(9 Posts)
ApocalypseNowt Tue 24-May-16 13:47:42

Just that really...I've looked on the local authority website and can't find anything that says one way or the other.

I have a friend who is divorced and they are planning to use their current address to apply for the local secondary school....however they aren't the resident parent so would that matter? The non-resident parent has the dc just slightly less than 50% of the time.

aginghippy Tue 24-May-16 13:55:01

Don't think it matters. The school will only ask for proof of address, not for any evidence of how much the child stays there.

When my friend was applying for his dd, they used his ex's address (where she hardly ever stays) on the basis that it was closer to the first choice school.

eyebrowsonfleek Tue 24-May-16 14:03:10

You're supposed to use the address that the children live at the majority of the time. (If the children live at each house 3.5 days then I think the tie breaker is the number of school nights.)

For admissions "proof" purposes that's usually the person who claims Child Benefit.

PatriciaHolm Tue 24-May-16 14:20:56

"When my friend was applying for his dd, they used his ex's address (where she hardly ever stays) on the basis that it was closer to the first choice school."

In many areas, that would not have been permitted. Usually the admittance authority will make it clear what they consider to be the home address; for example, in Surrey, the guidance is -

"The address on the form must be the child's current permanent place of residence. This will usually be the parents' address; if they don't live together, the address must be of the parent the child spends most time with – usually the parent receiving child benefit (where applicable). If there is equal shared custody of the child, it is left to the parents to decide which address to use."

If it transpires later that an incorrect address was used fraudulently, then the place can be removed.

admission Tue 24-May-16 14:49:18

It must be the address at which the child spends the most school nights. If it is 50/50 then the parents should elect which one but make sure that you talk it through with the LA well in advance of the cut off date for applications and get their agreement in writing.
If you try to use the one that is not the main resident during the school week then you risk the school place being removed when it comes out - which it will. You should also note that some LAs are now taking a far harder line on the discrepancy being discovered after the start of term. Nothing would be more embarrassing than to have to explain that away.

ApocalypseNowt Tue 24-May-16 15:00:18

Ah ok, thanks for the info. The website says this about home address:

^For admission purposes, the home address is where the child usually lives with their parent
or carer. You must not give the address of a childminder or relative. We will investigate any
queries about addresses and, depending on what we find; we may change the school we
offer your child. When we make an offer, we assume your address will be the same in the
following September as we have on record. If you plan to move house, you must still give
your current address. ^ i think it probably is where the dc spend most time/school nights. Will advise to phone up and check then once packs go out.

tiggytape Wed 25-May-16 11:22:58

The address a child lives for most school nights is the usual way of determining the admissions address
They check by seeing where any child benefit is paid or where the GP or nursery and other agencies have the child registered.

In the vast majority of cases, the child will spend more school nights at one house than the other so that is their address and it is very easy to sort out. It isn't permitted to list the other address instead just because it is in a better catchment area.

Very occasionally a family will have 50/50 care that is also 50/50 school nights and in those cases some LAs will allow the family to choose which address to use or they will tell the family what the deciding factor will be.

Generally though, parental choice of address isn't allowed.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Wed 25-May-16 11:24:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeckyWithTheMediocreHair Wed 25-May-16 21:18:28

Worth bearing in mind if you are a blended family that for the purposes of sibling places, siblings generally have tons e the same address.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now