Talk

Advanced search

what A levels to do Computing at Uni?

(5 Posts)
grumpysquash3 Tue 17-May-16 23:19:29

I am new to this part of MN, but finding it very interesting!

My DS (year 10) is a computer fiend, never off the thing, would like to study Computer Science at uni, when the time comes.

What combination of A levels is the 'best', if there is a best? He is strong across maths and science and is doing CS GCSE, although I know that isn't a requirement. He is also doing Engineering.

Is double maths an advantage over single maths?

EllenJanethickerknickers Tue 17-May-16 23:36:45

I suggest you look at a few university websites for their offer criteria. My DS, now in Y13, did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing in Y12 then decided he preferred the maths to the computing course, so dropped the computing. He could still have gone on to do a computing degree with the double maths and physics, but has chosen maths instead, with an aim to go into software development after university.

The new A level syllabus for Computer Science looks much better than the current computing A level, though. DS had only done ICT at GCSE as his school didn't offer computing GCSE 4 years ago. Further maths, I'd say, is only really recommended for those with an A or preferably an A* in maths GCSE, so a 7 at a push, preferably an 8 (or 9 if anyone gets one of those) in the new GCSE.

AtiaoftheJulii Wed 18-May-16 07:24:55

Have a look at this recent thread in Higher - www.mumsnet.com/Talk/higher_education/2620209-Computer-science-maths-and-further-maths-a-levels

Personally, I think that if you're interested in mathsy courses, and you have the ability to do FM, then you probably should.

catslife Wed 18-May-16 08:32:41

Most of the advice on the other thread will probably be relevant to your ds.
The only thing that I need to add is that current Y10s will be the first cohort to do the new linear A level Maths. The good news is that the new 9-1 GCSE should be better preparation for A level. The bad news is that full details of the new specification aren't publicly available yet (Maths teachers may have seen a draft). One area that is unclear is which topics will be in the ordinary A level and which will be in the new Further Maths. This should be clearer by the time your ds has to choose A level options though.

grumpysquash3 Wed 18-May-16 22:17:08

Thanks for the advice - off now to follow it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now