Talk

Advanced search

A levels or Bacc for expat returning to UK

(5 Posts)
sayatidaknama Thu 12-May-16 09:39:04

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to apply to do A levels in UK at any school without having done GCSEs abroad? Or will my DS have to continue with the baccalaureate if he returns to UK for 6th form?

Needmoresleep Thu 12-May-16 10:18:25

(Saya nak nama anda!)

Which bacc. French? IB?

I can't see a problem, however it might depend on subject and what has and hasn't been covered. Could you offer some self study or tutoring over the summer to fill in any gaps.

sayatidaknama Thu 12-May-16 11:13:48

Thanks for replying needmoresleep. It would be IB. I'm just wondering how it works to get into places like Westminster (ha ha ha) for example if you have no GCSEs and apply at 6th form to sit A'levels. Do you sit a test I wonder?

Needmoresleep Thu 12-May-16 11:23:32

Look at the Westminster website for sixth form entry procedures. It is by test so GCSEs would not be so important. They regularly take pupils from the French Lycee for example. However you would need to ensure you had covered basic GCSE content in the relevent subjects. (Not perfectly as they understand that even the kids with GCSEs with have taken different syllibi, plus the question apparently aim to test understanding rather than knowledge.)

That said Westminster sixth form is fiendishly competitive for boys. The bulk of the entry is girls (about 60 girls and 10 boys).

sayatidaknama Thu 12-May-16 11:31:55

Thanks Needmoresleep that is really useful. Yes Westminster is a bit of a enormous pipedream but I thought I'd start at the top! Do you know if all the 6th forms test as opposed to looking at GCSEs or is that just Westminster?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now