Talk

Advanced search

Toby Young admits arrogance, running a school is harder than he thought.

(10 Posts)
noblegiraffe Fri 06-May-16 16:37:35

www.standard.co.uk/news/education/toby-young-running-free-school-was-harder-than-i-thought-a3241746.html

Well this is pretty satisfying. Apparently high expectations aren't enough, and he regrets criticising educators.

bojorojo Fri 06-May-16 17:54:43

Whenever I have seen TY on tv, he has come across as pugnacious, arrogant and overly secure in his own beliefs and unwilling to take advice. Hence 3 heads in 3 years! If he has learnt anything, hopefully it will be respecting other professionals and realising that journalists are not the saviours of education. I always wondered if he expected to recruit teachers from Eton and St Pauls Girls School - except that top people would run a mile from him! He seemed to embrace elitism and not include children living in the area of the school.

I wonder what his next project will be? London Mayor at the next election? Running the NHS? He surely thinks he knows better than anyone else!

PiqueABoo Fri 06-May-16 18:46:04

Not that I mind him getting a bit of a kicking, but I think this is better at source:

schoolsweek.co.uk/toby-young-free-school-chief-executive/

BoffinMum Fri 06-May-16 20:29:33

A lot of the free school crowd are admitting it's harder than they thought and ducking out now wink

Who knew???

Not gloating, honest.

BoffinMum Fri 06-May-16 20:30:16

I've been in there and while I thought it was a reasonable school I would not have chosen it for my own DCs TBH

iklboo Fri 06-May-16 20:33:08

In other news, ursine creatures defecate in heavily treed areas (that's to Toby, not to anyone who's posted here).

Thenitnurse Fri 06-May-16 20:34:25

Oh are his kids finished there now? wink

lljkk Sat 07-May-16 10:55:50

Indeed Nitnurse!!

noblegiraffe Sat 07-May-16 11:17:14

The school doesn't have any exam results yet so his kids must still be there.

I do appreciate him admitting that he was wrong about teacher workload and that teachers do work exceptionally hard.

However, I also wonder why he is saying these things, as someone who has always seemed to court being an object of hate and derision.

PiqueABoo Sat 07-May-16 12:16:49

" I also wonder why he is saying these things"

Well there is a correlation with some of the current Morgan memes e.g. those workload reports were published a few weeks ago. If Toby were still wandering around saying there isn't much of a workload it would be a bit off-message.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now