School Appeal Advice

(3 Posts)
ClarasZoo Tue 12-Apr-16 17:42:14

I have a question about an in-year appeal. I have the form to complete and I see that there is a large box for reasons to complete. Can I fill this in briefly now and expand upon the information later and submit it before the appeal? At this stage I just want to say something brief as I have not fully articulated the reasons.
Next question - the school says it is full at 150 pupils per year. That is five classes of 30. The schools own published data say that absence rate is 5%. so every day at least 7 kids are not attending. is this a point worth making? In other words, squeezing one more in will not push them over 15o anyway.. will this assist with the balancing exercise (prejudice)?
Thanks in advance!

tiggytape Tue 12-Apr-16 17:49:18

Can I fill this in briefly now and expand upon the information later and submit it before the appeal? At this stage I just want to say something brief as I have not fully articulated the reasons.
Yes you can. You can do brief bullet points or a brief outline now and then submit your written case with any evidence you have before the appeal

Next question - the school says it is full at 150 pupils per year. That is five classes of 30. The schools own published data say that absence rate is 5%. so every day at least 7 kids are not attending. is this a point worth making?
Nice try - but no! That might make the panel laugh though - would a child admitted on appeal slot into the sick vacancies everyday regardless of his or her timetable or agree to stand outside on days when everyone else is present and healthy?
In all seriousness though what you can focus on is chipping away at the school's case that they are totally full with 150 children. Find out how many are actually in the relevant year group but also other year groups too. If you find they have 153 in a particular year and cope just fine for example, you can say this could apply to your child's year group too.

As you say though it is about the balance of prejudice and the main thing you can do is to make your own case as strong as possible. If the school's case to refuse is weak (eg not over numbers, adequate space, other year groups cope with higher numbers etc) then chipping away at it helps you but, if you present even a marginally stronger case than them, you would win.

ClarasZoo Tue 12-Apr-16 19:19:58

Ah - thanks for such a prompt reply Tiggytape. I am going to send you a personal message.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now