Talk

Advanced search

WJEC Science AS...change of curriculum

(6 Posts)
scotsgirl64 Tue 12-Apr-16 17:00:46

DS is sitting AS in Biology ,Physics and Geography this year (as wells compulsory Welsh Bac-dont even get me stared on this ridiculous waste of a topic!). Curriculum/exams have changed quite dramatically this year and he's finding it very difficult to revise as there are no past papers...I've got him the study guides to go along with the AS text books for biology and Physics ( he's ok with Geography)...anyone else dos having issues with new curriculum....apparently the whole year did abysmally in mocks in Jan and I'm beginning to panic he may not get the grades he needs/deserves

LineyReborn Tue 12-Apr-16 17:01:35

We've had a nightmare with chemistry.

LineyReborn Tue 12-Apr-16 17:02:21

And the mocks for Maths were pretty bad across the whole year group.

titchy Tue 12-Apr-16 18:21:10

Biology and physics are on the new terminal spec. The good(ish) news is that the AS grade won't count, but should be a good indicator of his knowledge of those topics. He is also in the first cohort so grade boundaries might be lower as not all schools are taking the AS so there won't be as big a cull of weaker students.

titchy Tue 12-Apr-16 18:22:26

But yes, being new, a lot of schools are struggling to deliver the curriculum which was finalised very late (less than a year ago.)

scotsgirl64 Tue 12-Apr-16 18:31:55

hope the grade boundaries are lowered then!...he's only doing 3 AS + Welsh Bac, so every point counts!!.(he dropped Chemistry and Maths , against my better judgement)..he started out as the brightest of my 3 dcs and I think the system is failing him! ( my 2 dds have both gone to Uni- I just hope he manages to pass these 3AS so he can continue to year 13!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now