iGCSE French

(26 Posts)
Ancienchateau Thu 31-Mar-16 15:52:43

Is anyone's DC sitting this Edexcel exam, or if you just know, can you answer my question please?

It's really unclear in the notes (to me) if for the Speaking part 3, do they get a choice of pictures to talk about prior to the exam and choose one (if so where do they get this from?) or do they just take in a random picture on the day and talk about that?

DS isn't being taught per se and we are abroad. Thanks.

Ancienchateau Fri 01-Apr-16 06:45:47

Bump.

Can anyone tell me if you have to submit the picture to be discussed in Part 3 prior to the exam or if you can just turn up with it?

bagelsandlox Fri 01-Apr-16 10:28:23

Hi Chateau,

Do you have the Edexcel Specification and Sample Assessment Material? This is covered on pages 7-8. The student selects a picture based on one of the topic areas in advance of the exam, and submits the picture in advance of the test by attaching a copy to the candidate cover sheet.

HTH

bagelsandlox Fri 01-Apr-16 10:33:18

qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-french-2011.html

Ancienchateau Fri 01-Apr-16 10:50:36

No I didn't have any of that info, thanks very much Bagelsandlox. Can't believe how complicated it is and how little information there is for off site so to speak examinees. Thanks again.

Dreamgirls234 Fri 01-Apr-16 16:53:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ancienchateau Fri 01-Apr-16 18:14:12

Thanks Dreamgirls. When you say show the picture to the teacher, do you mean the examiner? DS is not doing it via his school. He's just turning up at an exam centre and sitting the whole lot in one day. Good luck to your DD.

Dreamgirls234 Fri 01-Apr-16 18:26:34

Ancienchateau Fri 01-Apr-16 18:31:21

Thanks Dreamgirls. That's clear now. I just need to work on DS having a go at a past paper over the holiday, ha ha.

Dreamgirls234 Fri 01-Apr-16 18:35:07

Ancienchateau Fri 01-Apr-16 18:43:52

Ok that's interesting thanks. Is that an oral test or a written one that your DD struggles with?

Dreamgirls234 Fri 01-Apr-16 18:44:52

Ancienchateau Fri 01-Apr-16 18:46:31

Ok thanks for tip. Better take a look at the paper!

Ancienchateau Fri 08-Apr-16 09:37:54

Can anyone tell me what mark you need to get for an A* if that still exists? Have googled without success. Thanks.

happygardening Fri 08-Apr-16 11:18:21

I've always assumed its at least 90+. DS got 89% for 1 subject (not French) and got an A (Cambridge exam board f that makes any difference). To be sure of an A* he was told you need to be aiming for 95%+.

Ancienchateau Fri 08-Apr-16 11:53:31

Oh gosh really?! I just assumed DS would get an A* as he's fluent. Looks like it's going to be rather difficult to achieve even for him. I presumed an A was 70% like it used to be but guess I'm wrong about that too and it's 80% +?

Ancienchateau Fri 08-Apr-16 11:56:21

Oh gosh really?! I just assumed DS would get an A* as he's fluent. Looks like it's going to be pretty hard to achieve even for him! I also assumed that an A is 70% like it used to be, but I'm probably wrong about that too and it's 80%+ ?

Ancienchateau Fri 08-Apr-16 11:57:24

Sorry for duplicate post. Must be the shock.

happygardening Fri 08-Apr-16 12:42:15

I've no idea what the minimum for an A is but DS was able to work out how many marks he'd dropped on a couple of subjects we're talking 4-6 in total and he thought that made him borderline for an A*.
I don't know if different exam boards have different grade boundaries I think you can look it up on their websites.

Ancienchateau Fri 08-Apr-16 12:48:54

Yes I've tried searching on websites but can't find anything. We will proceed on the basis it's 80% for an A and 90% for an A* and hope he has a good day! Thanks happygardening.

happygardening Fri 08-Apr-16 13:28:37

Good luck to your DS.

asilverraindrop Fri 08-Apr-16 14:23:15

Get him to do a couple of past papers and mark them yourself - full mark schemes are available online, or were when my daughters did it. There is a knack to saying the words that get you the marks even if you are a fluent speaker. My DD was warned she had to say the ne as well as the pas even though no native speaker would, for example (she wasn't fluent but had spent quite a lot of time in France) because the mark scheme required it. I was told this applies particularly at GCSE and that a level is slightly more flexible.

Ancienchateau Fri 08-Apr-16 16:28:21

Thanks happygardening. That is really useful asilverraindrop thank you. Do you know if that applies to the use of On instead of Nous (which nobody uses in spoken French)? I bet there are tons of other things as well. I'm sure the written and listening paper will be relatively easy but the oral, which I thought was going to be a doddle for him, now sounds like it's going to be a nightmare. I'll have to tell him to drop the teenage French. I'm sure he knows how! This all seemed like a good idea a couple of months ago ...

cakeisalaystheanswer Fri 08-Apr-16 18:33:09

The A% boundary for last year was 83% for Edexcel IGCSE French 4FRO.

At DS's school boys are not allowed to sit IGCSEs in their mother tongue until Y10, there is no course work it is all final exam and it is more demanding than GCSE languages. And native speakers do have lessons beforehand to stop them making the "mistakes" highlighted by asilver, they also need to understand the mark scheme and how to score marks. e.g. use some subjunctive.

Boys who sit French early are allowed to sit a "challenge language" and sit a GCSE language in a year, it is sooo much easier than IGCSE and they mostly A* it but they don't really know the language at all.

Ancienchateau Sat 09-Apr-16 19:05:09

This is all really useful. Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now