A level Maths exam clash - how long a break between the two?

(6 Posts)
dottygamekeeper Tue 22-Mar-16 22:01:08

My DD is doing OCR Maths and Further Maths and has an exam clash of M1 and FP3 which are both scheduled on the same afternoon. She knows she will be kept in isolation between the two, but does anyone know how long a break she is entitled to (both exams are, I think 1 hr 30) and who decides which of the two she takes first?

AtiaoftheJulii Tue 22-Mar-16 22:06:09

She'd probably do whichever one had a bigger group at the right time (the school decide what's most convenient based on everyone involved), and my daughters have had 30-60 minute break I think. If she doesn't have anything in the morning, they might start one early, rather than having to stay at school late.

RedHelenB Wed 23-Mar-16 07:27:51

We had 3 hour a levels so i would think a short break would be allowable. Luckily it's the same subject .

catslife Wed 23-Mar-16 15:15:21

Usually the school decides which order the papers will be taken in but they should really be consulting with the parents and giving out information about what would be happening.
What typically happens at the school where I work with afternoon exam clashes is that the first exam would start a bit earlier say 1pm instead of 1.30pm and then exam 1 ends at 2.30pm. There would be a supervised break of approx 30mins and they would start exam 2 just before 3pm to make sure that they have no contact with pupils who have just finished the clashing exam. Although a short break is usually offered, I don't think there is an entitlement as some A level exams still can be 3 hours long.

dottygamekeeper Wed 23-Mar-16 17:01:30

Thanks for the help everyone. She is worried that she won't be allowed any break at all, just the time whilst the exam hall is cleared (but I have pointed out to her that all my A level exams - many moons ago - were three hours!) In any case I think they may well take her to a separate room for the second exam.

She would prefer to have M1 first (and that is the subject which most people will be doing, she believes). I will ask her to speak to the Exams officer and clarify.

maydancer Wed 23-Mar-16 21:09:20

strange combination -isn't M1 more commonly done at AS?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now