Can anyone recommend a state secondary within travelling distance of Wigan/Manchester?

(10 Posts)
owlsintheflowerpatch Fri 18-Mar-16 08:37:05

For a year 8 child with low self esteem and confidence and some sen.
DC is academically on target for a C and some possible B so not hugely behind.

Looking for somewhere with amazing pastoral support.

PirateSmile Fri 18-Mar-16 08:42:10

If you are happy to think about somewhere very out of the ordinary, try here maharishischool.com

owlsintheflowerpatch Fri 18-Mar-16 08:54:14

I have already emailed them thank you.
Basically we were on the waiting list from primary school for there just after the free school conversion. Rang to check at start of year 7 and still no places.
Dc now in year 8. Found an old phone we don't use anymore yesterday offering her a year 8 place the day before the start of term argh but that was in September so trying to enquire if there is still room sad

Do you have experience there Pirate? It looked perfect for dc when we looked.

PirateSmile Fri 18-Mar-16 13:41:23

I've no direct experience owls but I know people who want there dc to go there. Academically, it seems excellent as does the pastoral care. I'll keep everything crossed that they offer your dd a place and have a think about any alternatives in the meantime.

owlsintheflowerpatch Fri 18-Mar-16 14:02:06

Thank you. Theyve called me to say full sad

PirateSmile Fri 18-Mar-16 14:21:07

I'm so sorry to hear that owls How strange that I should suggest the school you have been considering.
I met a lady last year who was in a similar position, hoping desperately to get her ds into Maharishi. A lady who was influential in TM promised her she'd have a word with HT but I don't know what the outcome was.
The only other place I can think wouldn't be right as it's in Liverpool and the exam results aren't great. I'll try to have a harder think.

owlsintheflowerpatch Fri 18-Mar-16 14:54:22

What is the one in Liverpool Pirate?

Thanks for all your help btw smile

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 18-Mar-16 14:57:33

We went to gave a look around the Maharishi and were really unimpressed.

PirateSmile Fri 18-Mar-16 14:59:42

I'm really not sure it's what you're looking for. It was hoping to become a free school but that didn't happen so they are a private school. However, the fees are very low (less than £5,000 per annum for senior school) and I think they could be negotiable. Anyway, if it's still of any interest, it's here:

www.streathamschools.co.uk

owlsintheflowerpatch Fri 18-Mar-16 15:59:24

Thank you.
Basically a (mild) sen friendly school with great pastoral support for an average achieving (but could do better in right place) child who loves martial arts but hates other sports and loves animals and police cadets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now