Talk

Advanced search

Question for exam markers (Geography in particular)

(6 Posts)
CanvasAwning Thu 17-Mar-16 20:45:36

I am aware of the importance of the *SP&G questions re SP&G but was curious as to the following guidance on the other non SP&G questions re "Levels marking criteria". It applies to all levels.

^Reasonable accuracy in the use of spelling, punctuation and grammar
Text is legible.^

Would/could you take this into consideration if the candidate had used a scribe? How badly could it affect poorly spelt, non-scribed work on an otherwise perfect answer? Would it lose marks?

titchy Thu 17-Mar-16 21:15:16

Unless the punctuation is dictated to the scribe, which is far too slow, then afaik the kid loses the 5-20% of spag marks available.

titchy Thu 17-Mar-16 21:16:48

So marks might be 9 available for a perfect answer and 1 for accurate spag, so 10 in total. Kid dictates perfect answer and gets 9 marks.

CanvasAwning Thu 17-Mar-16 21:24:40

Thanks

I get the SP&G marks and how that works but was surprised to see that SP&G could affect the non SP&G questions.

How would a 4 mark question work? Perfectly answered but poor spelling?

lborolass Thu 17-Mar-16 21:32:29

I can't answer for geography and different boards may have different ways of doing it but in the past when I did some marking for a 4 mark question spelling wouldn't be penailsed if the content was clear as the marks will be specifically allocated for the elements that need to be present.

catslife Fri 18-Mar-16 14:55:20

There are questions with levels on Science papers too. If no SPAG marks then the spellings need to be clear enough for the examiner to work out what the word is. If it works phonetically then usually it will the marks if correct. The only possible exception is if the spelling error by coincidence means the pupil has used a completely different technical term that is definitely incorrect. For example absorb and adsorb are both Scientific terms with completely different meanings so this isn't a spelling error iyswim.
The main reason for needing a scribe is however legibility. These days with many papers marked on-line you can electronically refer unreadable scripts to another examiner for a second opinion. However the general rule is that if the examiner can't read it, the answer loses the marks. The scribe is a mixed blessing BTW. As well as taking longer to do exams this way, sometimes the scribe can't spell technical terms correctly either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now