Can anyone help? What is th definition of a low attainer?

(8 Posts)
blurredlines Thu 17-Mar-16 12:50:40

According to the education.gov website?
Do they have to be under the expected level for all subjects or just one?
Trying to build a case for an appeal . Thanks

blurredlines Thu 17-Mar-16 13:34:51

In regards to pupils leaving primary ? Anyone ?

catslife Thu 17-Mar-16 14:53:03

Is this the information you are looking for ? www.education.gov.uk/schools/performance/2013/secondary_13/LMHattainers.pdf.
Am not sure how/if attainment data applies in an appeal situation though

titchy Thu 17-Mar-16 15:19:17

In old money it's those gaining level 3 on their year 6 SATS.

blurredlines Thu 17-Mar-16 17:06:17

We didnt get our 1st choice which is our catchment school. We have been offered a failing academy instead. DD is 'working below the expected level' in maths. The progress in math for low attainers in the academy is 20% where are our catchment its 70%. Would this be good grounds for appeal? We are in single figures for the wait list too.

Thank you for the responses btw.

prh47bridge Thu 17-Mar-16 18:08:03

No, I'm afraid it would not be good grounds for an appeal - at least, not directly. If it was anyone allocated a place at an underperforming school could appeal successfully.

You are appealing for your preferred school, not against the allocated school. So your case needs to be about how your daughter will be disadvantaged if she doesn't go to your preferred school. Don't use these figures. They won't help and may put the panel's backs up. However, if you can identify specific things the catchment provides to help those who are behind in maths and which the academy does not provide you may be able to build a case around that.

blurredlines Thu 17-Mar-16 19:07:25

Could I use the figures about how well low attainers achieve for the catchment as part of my appeal? I'm not use how I would go about getting information on on specific things the school does to help with maths.
There are also transport issues - the only school bus that comes onto my estate is for the catchment . The academy would involve a walk over a secluded railway bridge which I'm not comfortable with and I have younger children I have to get to school and nursery so I'm unable to take her myself.

blurredlines Fri 18-Mar-16 12:15:09

Game over! She's just been offered a place!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now