We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dartford Grammar for boys or Bexley Grammar?

(11 Posts)
runningandjumping Wed 16-Mar-16 14:26:30

We accepted a place for the latter but my son has good chances to get into the former via waiting list as he scored very highly in the entrance test. I know that Dartford has better results, but my son is keen to go to Bexley as he likes football and dislikes rugby and would like to be in a co-ed school. The commute is roughly the same from where we live. Would I deprive my son of a better opportunity if I sent him to Bexley?

BoboEK Wed 16-Mar-16 16:36:43

Both are excellent school but it really depends on if bexley has a siblings policy (Will a brother or sister be joining next year ?, Dartford boys does not) and more importantly what will make him more happy as he will be going for the next 5 or more years ? It's a good choice to have !

Floralnomad Wed 16-Mar-16 16:39:20

Dartford is very much a rugby school and year 7s have to go to rugby on a Saturday morning until October ( or they did this year) .

Greenarrow1 Wed 16-Mar-16 17:38:55

DGS is a fantastic school, would highly recommend

PettsWoodParadise Wed 16-Mar-16 18:25:32

Dartford also does the IB so if staying on for A Levels consider that. I love the concept of the IB but it isn't for all.

PettsWoodParadise Wed 16-Mar-16 18:26:39

Correction 'if staying on for sixth form' - not A - levels as you can't stay on and do A levels and IB!

BoboEK Wed 16-Mar-16 18:55:45

A levels or IB ! Is everyone thinking that far ahead ! (Joking)

runningandjumping Wed 16-Mar-16 22:35:27

Thanks for your feedback!

blametheparents Mon 21-Mar-16 20:24:06

Bexley Grammar School is IB at 6th Form now too, I believe.

Both are great schools. DS is at DGS and he loves it, but he plays rugby. Having said that, lots of his friends do not play and they enjoy school too. No football though. Cricket and athletics are important at DGS too.

BoboEK Tue 22-Mar-16 10:36:45

@blametheparents

Could you please tell more about the rugby ? is it actual rugby or touch rugby ? my DS is like a wet jelly fish and is certainly not built for it :-( has there been any major injuries ? also does the Saturday rugby for Y7 start at a very early time ?

blametheparents Wed 23-Mar-16 07:33:19

Rugby is from 8.15am until about 9.45am on a Saturday morning for Year 7s. It is more or less compulsory for all until October half term, and then continues until Feb half term for those selected for the teams, and for others that want to continue attending. Matches don't start until after Oct half term, and the meet time of these can vary a little, but is always on a Saturday morning.
Yes, there is tackling involved - it is not just touch rugby. However, the teachers tend to ensure that similar ability boys are put together.
I have never heard of any serious injuries among year 7 boys.

Good luck with your decision. I am impressed with the school and the progress that my son is making, but I am sure that there are plenty of BGS parents who would tell you the same thing. I am an ex-BGS student and remember it fondly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now