Talk

Advanced search

Year 12 preparing for AS levels

(981 Posts)
HSMMaCM Tue 15-Mar-16 14:22:28

Here we are everyone.

HSMMaCM Tue 15-Mar-16 14:26:33

This is a thread for all the people who have been supporting me through GCSEs and starting sixth form, but also for anyone new who wants to join in.

dingit Tue 15-Mar-16 14:34:09

Scary new thread title. I'm starting to feel a little sick to the stomach at how close they are. I can also tell from the length of dds fuse smile

bigTillyMint Tue 15-Mar-16 15:37:25

"preparing" sounds a bit hopefulgrin

DD has asked me to buy her 2 books for revision. They are £££!

Yes, slightly scary but scarily appropriate new thread title!

I liked the old one ... Starting sixth form etc.!

DD gets her results from mocks this week and had a bit of a panic about it all the other day. So I just hope the results either give a little encouragement in themselves, or that they provide some kind of feedback/ a bench-mark of where we are at, and that teachers are helpful in taking that forward with her. Basically I think she needs some encouragement and positivity, though tips towards getting organised with revision may well be needed too. I just feel the scary on it's own approach isn't going to cut it for DD - so hope they can do flexible approaches for individuals! She is especially concerned about Maths, but also Biology as that's the area she wants to take forward towards Uni applications.

Also we are trying to wind up a P/T evening job DD took on recently with a friend of hers. We are both hoping to tell them this week that she can only do this week and next, and needs to leave before the Easter break. It's all been a bit of a nightmare really, basically because it's just been too much on top of homework and school stuff.

So, I'll let you know how we get on on both those fronts a bit later in the week confused

Horsemad Tue 15-Mar-16 15:39:08

Thanks for the new thread HSMMaCM smile

dingit Tue 15-Mar-16 15:42:17

Juggling, my Dd is struggling with maths and talking about giving up her Saturday job.

Wardrobedoors Tue 15-Mar-16 15:55:17

I wish dd would bloody well sort herself out. Either start taking this seriously and do some work, not just the bare minimum, or get a job and leave. I don't care. Just DO SOMETHING!
Unfortunately, either option would involve actually making an effort, which is not her thing!
Had the "conversation" again last night about it all which didn't end well. I am beyond frustrated sad

SugarPlumTree Tue 15-Mar-16 16:02:39

Is anyone having issues with Chemistry? My friend's DD is doing it and they did a mock which they all failed and the teachers are panicking about the level of maths involved, or something like that - couldn't quite make sense of it.

dingit Tue 15-Mar-16 16:13:39

At the moment chemistry is her best subject, but that could all change! She really likes her teachers which helps. Chemistry is said to be the hardest a level subject, although I'm not sure why, you would think they would all be the same.

BoxDweller Tue 15-Mar-16 16:42:55

I was on the GCSE thread - long time ago now...

Dd has really flown at 6th form, she was never really happy in her old school, we had regular telephone and emails complaints from teachers and she did the bare minimum, but somehow managed to get As and Bs.

I's been so lovely to see her open up and become a happy person. It was a definite case of a fresh start with a clean slate. She did really well in her mocks, AAAB, but is now panicking that it was all a fluke as she's done much better than her friends in the same classes who got A*!

Wow, that's great Box, good for her!

I really enjoyed my L6 year way back when and got involved in loads of extra stuff that year - some of it related to doing things towards DofE with a friend.
I also had a Saturday job most of the year, and started driving lessons.

So, it's been a bit of a shock that DD has found it that "step-up" that we were warned by school that it would be (at least for many)

I think it was different back then though, and lower sixth was a definite breather between O and A levels? AS has sure changed that here.

bigTillyMint Tue 15-Mar-16 17:27:37

Box, that's fantastic! So nice to hear of someone doing wellsmile

Juggling and dingit, my DGodD gave up Maths and I think feels much better for it. She has a tutor for the Chemistry which I think is helping. Both are regarded as very hard (as is Physics) which I think they are!

Juggling, I had a really full-on social life back then too. I think it has definitely changed for the worse. Perhaps because of the AS's, but I think there is just more pressure in general. I will see when/if DS does A levels as they will probably all be gone by then.

dingit Tue 15-Mar-16 18:05:58

Argh, don't tell me that! She has to give up PE so is stuck with Maths sad

Fairenuff Tue 15-Mar-16 18:06:26

Great results for your dd Box, it sounds like she knows what she's doing and just has to keep her nerves in check for the real deal this summer.

I find it so annoying that they will get predicted grades from these AS's which will be the basis of their uni offers. Everything could change between now and the end of next year.

I remember my dd couldn't apply for Oxbridge (not that she wanted to anyway as they didn't do the course she wanted) as she only got ABBC for her AS exams. Yet for her A2s she got A*A*A which would get her in anywhere.

They really can't predict this early on how the students will do next year. Especially as they will drop a subject and only have three to study so there is every chance their grades will improve. Plus they will have had the exam practice and be more used to the commitment required for A levels. And they will have matured quite a lot. 16 is still very young.

However, looking at all the uni courses with ds, it is encouraging to see the variety of course available. He is starting to get some ideas now of what he might like to study and found some useful pointers at the uni convention this week. He's even talking about doing an EPQ next year but we'll see. One thing at a time, son grin

Thanks for the new thread HSM flowers

Thanks for the general encouragement Fairenuff - wow, your DD did well in her A2's (especially)
We've just decided against doing an EPQ (for dd) partly because we can't make the introductory meeting about it - but we both think it may be just as well not to be taking on even more

CamboricumMinor Tue 15-Mar-16 18:31:02

Thanks. DD has mocks this week.
Is anybody starting to think about universities?
DD has just decided which subject she's going to drop, she's got the same predicted grades for 3 subjects and a grade lower for the 4th one.

bigTillyMint Tue 15-Mar-16 18:46:55

Gosh Faire, that's a big improvement that your DD made - was that just because it all fell into place better in her second year? And you are right, 16 (and not 17 till the summer holidays) is still very young!

I don't think DD would remotely want to do an EPQ!

Fairenuff Tue 15-Mar-16 20:12:32

I think the second year is easier because they drop one of the subjects. When you think about it, that frees up a quarter of their time/head space and it's usually the least favourite subject too.

The EPQ is equivalent to half an A level, or an AS level so is a lot of work to take on. My dd did do it and the only advantage was that one of the unis offered her AAB but said they would accept ABB if she got an A in her EPQ. Other than that, there was no advantage to her doing it.

But it will count as extra UCAS points if anyone thinks they might be borderline and might need a few extra points to get on the course they want.

ono40 Tue 15-Mar-16 21:05:02

We got DS' exam timetable through today (internal and external exams). They finish school on 13th May, then have 2 weeks of internal exams, then half term, then the 2 AS, then back to school on 13th June. They also have a week off in July when DS is doing DofE Gold expedition but if they aren't doing that then they just have a random week off??

Does anyone have experience with the EPQ? it is going to be compulsory at DS' school. He is thinking about what he might want to do and whether to make it relevant to possible uni courses. I have booked up for a couple of uni open days already (Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle) and booked cheap train tickets using his shiny new 20% off railcard.

Driving lessons are going OK - bit of a hairy moment when some idiot came haring onto the roundabout near us at 50 and almost crashed into him - I've never seen the instructor look ashen before!

1234Littleham Tue 15-Mar-16 21:26:10

Two eldest children did an EPQ. If your ds is very organised it will be fine. If your dc is not organised then they are a nightmare and should be avoided.

If possible get him to start it in the summer holidays. The longer it drags into year 13 the more it sucks time away from doing A Levels. EPQ's are like a tardis. At first you think it is just a nice little project and should be out of the way soon. Do not be fooled! The EPQ tardis sucks up time, energy and if you are in a normal state school a significant proportion of teens don't ever finish it.

On the plus side if your ds is organised and does complete one it is great to write about on the dreaded Personal Statement as it is well regarded. It sometimes results in a reduced offer. If your dc misses their offer a good EPQ mark may save the day. Another advantage is that an EPQ teaches skills like research and referencing. It was the first time my dd's had ever had to do a presentation to an audience which was good experience for them & made university a little less scary.

Great to get the quick guided tour of the EPQ tardis grin

I think we'll be taking a wide berth round that one!

bigTillyMint Tue 15-Mar-16 21:48:43

I agree juggling!

ChipInTheSugar Tue 15-Mar-16 21:48:57

Just marking place for later/tomorrow ...

1234Littleham Tue 15-Mar-16 21:56:43

I've probably put half the country off EPQ's now. blush

I expect some schools and teens breeze through EPQ's. halo Make sure your dc LOVES the chosen EPQ subject and it will probably be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now