Talk

Advanced search

Ideas to reduce stress/ have fun in run up to exams

(6 Posts)
GCSEzee Thu 10-Mar-16 20:52:31

Just that, really. I have one Yr11 DD doing GCSEs and one Yr13 doing A levels in June.
I'm looking for ideas to lower their stress levels without spending too much time and money over the Easter hols and next term.
Their friends just seem to be a cause of more anxiety at the moment, so something they/ we can do away from school friendships would be good.

What's kept your DC sane and happy?

Wolfiefan Thu 10-Mar-16 20:54:36

Exercise is really recommended to help with stress.
Climbing?
Geo caching?
Try a park run?
Swimming?

sendsummer Thu 10-Mar-16 22:22:20

Apart from exercise of a sort that appeals and time with pets, cooking (if you buy them the ingredients). Also jigsaws, adult colouring books. Mine have fond memories of a long running game of Monopoly which they would dip into when they felt like a break. That was not always good humoured smile but it certainly was an absorbing diversion from revision.

pregnantgrump Thu 10-Mar-16 22:37:11

Avoid social media as much as possible where the frenzy will be building.
Lavender bubble bath
Watching a box set together
Regular exercise together - Walks, runs, croquet, racquet sports, swimming
Massage
Gardening
The chocolate meditation from the headspace website
Painting garden gnomes
Making bread - kneading is great for stress
Watching trashy TV together - my niece (15) loves Say yes to the dress - good for a laugh
Favourite meals
Jigsaws

Leeds2 Thu 10-Mar-16 23:21:47

Anything that will make them relax. They shouldn't be studying 24/7.

My DD does A2s this year. Last year (AS year) we went to Paris for 4 days in the May half term. It was invaluable in terms of recharging exhausted batteries.

This year, we will be going on a 5 day sojourn to the States at Easter (she wants to do further education in the US). I hope the same will apply.

You don't need to go away, but try and find something where they will both switch off from their studies. Have a day out in London (if possible) or your nearest city. Get them to plan, buy and make a meal for you. Go to the theatre, if funds allow. Or cinema. Just something different.

TeenAndTween Fri 11-Mar-16 12:09:33

DD1 did GCSEs last summer.

We had 4 days away over Easter weekend (so as not to miss any school revision sessions). One last getaway before the final run.

Then a revision schedule which allowed for fresh air and exercise every single day. DD revised 9-1 and 4-6 (with breaks) but 1-4 was lunch and a walk or similar.

In my view another good way to reduce stress is to have a revision timetable and stick to it. Then you know you are making progress and you will be as ready as you can be.

And more treats, chocolate, bath bombs, whatever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now