Talk

Advanced search

GCSE Revision Courses

(9 Posts)
user1457616886 Thu 10-Mar-16 13:42:32

DS in need of lots of support at Easter for revision. Have contacted well known GCSE revision course provider J..C... And they refuse to tell me academic qualifications and experience of their tutors ( have asked for anonymous references) does this sound reasonable or like they have something to hide? Would like to think they only employ qualified, experienced teachers but now not sure

TeenAndTween Thu 10-Mar-16 13:51:25

No idea on this.
Are you sure your son's school don't run their own revision sessions in the holidays? Many do these days.

user1457616886 Thu 10-Mar-16 14:09:13

No they don't

catslife Thu 10-Mar-16 17:49:41

Before having children, I used to sometimes tutor Easter revision courses held at the independent school where I used to work.
Tutors were all qualified teachers, but were either those without dcs who could manage school holidays or newly retired teachers. However it wasn't clear to the last minute (application deadline) which tutor would be teaching each course.
I don't know about JC but would perhaps you check out courses at independent schools instead.

user1457616886 Thu 10-Mar-16 18:59:11

Thanks I will look around locally at this. Good idea. The residential courses are very expensive and yet they can't tell me credentials of tutors

Peppergrinder2016 Thu 10-Mar-16 19:31:36

The courses are very expensive - why not take that budget and get one on one tutoring tailored to your DC's needs rather than a course that is generalised revision?

user1457616886 Thu 10-Mar-16 19:47:51

I work full time and need to have some structure around what he does in the Easter holidays. I can only take a few days off. Left to his own devices he will get distracted

user1457616886 Thu 10-Mar-16 19:49:14

I would need to find the right tutor - triple science

notquiteruralbliss Sat 12-Mar-16 13:35:25

DCs have done several of those courses as they find it the best way to get a solid chunk of revision done during a school holiday. Different DCs have done the JC courses mentioned and a residential one. They enjoyed them and felt that they were useful.

The JC courses were exam board specific, tutors knew the syllabus / exam format well and were engaging. The residential course was quite different in that the tutors were uni lecturers not teachers and the teaching was often one to one. Much less focused on specific exam boards but huge fun, if intense. DD was supposed to do one week and stayed for 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now