Talk

Advanced search

Dartford Grammar School

(11 Posts)
SweetBabyJebus Sun 06-Mar-16 08:07:09

Hi there.

Ds was delighted to get his first choice of DGS last week, and we're thrilled for him. Was just wondering if there was anyone else here with boys starting in September? Or indeed with older boys/girls - how have you found the experience so far?

Thanks.

BoboEK Mon 07-Mar-16 13:34:54

I would also like to know this as my DS may be going (fingers crossed) off waiting list.

PettsWoodParadise Mon 07-Mar-16 13:42:12

There is a thread about DGS on the elevenplusforum Kent section. Good luck and well done. DD is off to Newstead and she is thrilled and we are off to the Spruce up Saturday they are having so there may be similar events at Dartford you can go along to before September.

SweetBabyJebus Mon 07-Mar-16 17:59:09

Thanks so much PettsWood, I've never come across that forum, will take a look. The whole 11+ thing is a new experience for us, we're from Ireland. I'll keep a look out for events, thank you for the heads up.

Fingers crossed Bobo, when do you find out?

BoboEK Tue 10-May-16 12:55:28

Still waiting on the list :-( not going to find out until another few weeks time (He is quite high on the list but they are full at the moment). Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if were closer then he would of been in already but at the time we made a ethical decision not to play the system as such, as well the wait goes on !

Admission1 Thu 12-May-16 14:06:02

Have an appeal panel meeting at the grammar school, really not sure how to challenge. My boy has exceeded all his targets to date and is above national average in maths he did this all by himself via the net and books. Not sure how to approach this, do I hammer on on his suitability for the school like all the others before me, or do I go for the " how will letting my son in affect, damage not letting him in far outweighs the school having to deal with a extra one body" reason for him not getting a place was distance by some 2.3 miles to the last place offered. Will find out how his score came into play at the meeting.

BoboEK Thu 12-May-16 15:07:26

Are you appealing for non-qualification or over-subscription ? the eleven plus forums has a good section for information so it may be better to have a read of the FAQ section.

Are you located in any of the dartford parishes or are you out of area ?

Admission1 Thu 12-May-16 17:14:56

Out of area, over subscription

PettsWoodParadise Thu 12-May-16 17:35:14

Do you know how far off the qualifying score you were? It was quite high this year for OOC, about 371 I think.

BoboEK Thu 12-May-16 17:54:39

Out of area is at 375 currently (well as of Monday when I last checked). I think in area is 351.

PettsWoodParadise Thu 12-May-16 21:54:54

Bobo it does sound a high score. Kent produce a table of who got what scores but whilst they indicate from what school or OOC they came they don't give details of who with the same score is applying for what score. I imagine wth the multi preference system that is probably impossible. I see from Peter's Kent Education site that Dartford boys is the most oversubscribed of the Kent grammars this year. In past years there have been winners at appeals but they have been in the tiny minority. I am hopeful you have a strong case and wish you all the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now