Secondary disappointment(17 Posts)
So DD didn't get into our choice of school. I am a bit confused as to what we do next. I'm not sure I have grounds for appeal so do I just go on the waiting list? Do I decline the place we've been offered? Confused and very out of my depth.
Do not decline the place (unless you have a private school place lined up, or are ready to HE at secondary age).
This is because if offering you a place, the LEA has fulfilled its obligation and does not have to offer you another.
Accepting this place makes no difference whatsoever to outcomes of either waiting list or possible appeal.
Most LEAs will add you automatically to the waiting list of the schools you listed as higher preferences than the one you were offered. It is worth checking that this has happened.
You should accept the place you've been offered and go on the waiting list for all your higher preference schools.
You can call your local authority and find out where you are on the waiting list.
Yes, go on the continued interest list - there is always lots of movement and all of my friends have been lucky and ended up with what they wanted.
We were not so lucky, but I am the only one I know!
Accept the place. Unless of course there is no way she is going there.
But the advice is always to accept the place.
Some areas put you in the wait list automatically, some you have to put yourself on it. You should be able to find out where you are on it.
I would start the appeal paperwork anyway, just in case.
At our secondary each year has 365 pupils. 17 got in off the wait list.
So it was definitely worth doing.
Thanks so much I will accept. We've got the second place so we aren't in a bad position I know a few who got their 4th or 5th. I will try and call the LEA tomorrow.
DC didn't get any of our 5 choices... Any advice re appeals?. Have been offered nearby school by LA
Blimey sadandblue - I'd start a new thread.
I still think the same applies - accept the place offered and then put your name down on the waiting lists for all of the schools you would prefer over the place you've accepted.
Sadandblue sorry to hear that I hope you get it sorted soon.
The LA phone lines will be very very busy for the next couple of weeks. They probably can't tell you your waiting list place for a little while yet. Do double check you are on any relevant waiting lists (I nearly didn't get DC3 on the one for her top choice school because the LA implied everyone would be placed on them automatically, but the top choice school was its own admissions authority and only put you on the waiting list when you asked).
My eldest got a place at his chosen school via the waiting list, and he started at at least 25th place.
You may have grounds to appeal, but whether or not you will win is pretty unpredictable.
I'm not sure I have grounds for appeal so do I just go on the waiting list? Do I decline the place we've been offered? Confused and very out of my depth.
In reverse order:
Do not decline the place unless you have a definite private school place lined up that you will take instead or unless you can definitely Home Ed long term from Sept. The council is obliged to make you an offer. It has done that and will not be obliged to find another for you if you reject it. Also there's nothing to be gained by declining - no priority is given on waiting lists or at appeals to people who decline an offer so are left with no place.
Yes - check you are on the list. Unless they have confirmed in writing that you are, ask to be added to it. If it is an academy or VA school, email the school itself. If it is a community school, email the admissions team at the council to do this.
You can appeal as well as going on the waiting list. The two processes are separate and have no bearing on each other at all. You don't need overwhelming grounds for an appeal as such. Most are based on demonstrating why the school you want best meets your child's medical / social / academic / additional or other needs. If you can show that the harm to your child (they call it prejudice at appeals) is greater than the harm (prejudice) that the school will suffer by having to go above numbers, you will win. It is whichever side tips the balance, however slightly, in their favour who wins so if you strongly believe it is the best school for your child, it is worth a shot.
Other grounds for winning an appeal include an error in admissions that cost you a place so it is also worth asking which category you were placed in and the last distance offered in that category. From that information, you should be able to tell if they have handled your application correctly. It is rare for a mistake to be made and even rarer for that mistake to directly cost someone their place nut it is worth checking.
Thanks for all the help. I really don't think I will appeal because I have no grounds at all. I'm going to endure I'm on the waiting list. The phone lines are open for 3 hours a day so it's going to take a while.
We live over the council bounty to our chosen school. It's an academy and by their admissions policy that should matter. But we discovered their software for measuring distance was wildly inaccurate when used to measure over the boundry.
Dd should have got place as we lived closer than some other people who got and we won the appeal based, in part, on this.
We wouldn't have ever know that if we hadn't started an appeal and looked into it all.
It's hard work but definitely worth doing.
I have known people win appeals based on grounds such as: a child's artistic ability and it was a specialist art school, a language being offered that other schools didn't, emotional needs of the child (although how they judged this I'm not sure as another child with very similar needs didn't get accepted).
I do regret not appealing for my son, although he got a place from the waiting list, if he hadn't got it just before the appeals were heard it would have been less likely (they accepted about 10 appeals for his school that year).
I will think about the appeal thanks everyone.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.