Advanced search

Waiting List for Caterham School

(31 Posts)
teaforoneplease Tue 01-Mar-16 10:19:51

Hi Everyone, My DS is on the waiting list for Caterham School and we will only hear after March 7th. I just wondered whether anyone else looking at this has a DC on the waiting list and if you know anything at all about the size of the waiting list or indeed the likelihood that anyone offered a place at Caterham will decline? All I know is that the waiting list is selective (i.e. there are some children who would not have made the waiting list). Thoughts much appreciated!

Ladymuck Tue 01-Mar-16 11:36:33

No idea about the overall size of list, but obviously it is a relatively small 11+ cohort of 40-50 as they will have almost 40 coming up from the prep school. Usually parents looking at Caterham are looking primarily at independents, and fewer will be making decisions on the grammars, but they got caught out 2 years ago and had to put on a bulge class, which then causes issues as there aren't enough fixtures etc for those pupils. I don't think it would do any harm to ring on Thursday.

teaforoneplease Tue 01-Mar-16 12:03:30

Thank you. Yes, I am thinking that the acceptances for Caterham will not be as dependent on grammar school places as with some other schools and also, am I right in understanding that for locals Caterham would high on the list of independent schools?

Ladymuck Tue 01-Mar-16 12:45:41

For co-ed, parents will probably look at Caterham, Reigate and Sevenoaks depending on location. Some parents will opt for single-sex at this stage instead, or still be debating between single-sex and co-ed. Certainly in the bulge year there were at least 4 children who turned down a Sutton grammar place in favour of Caterham, and another who turned down Judd.

olguis Tue 01-Mar-16 13:01:51

Hi! We declined a place at Caterham. So, yes, there should be some movement.

teaforoneplease Tue 01-Mar-16 13:11:58

Ah. Thank you. Some hope then. I would imagine that Caterham keep their waiting list quite plump though to ensure all places are filled.

beinspired Wed 02-Mar-16 20:39:08

I know at least 4 children who will not accept the offer from Caterham for other independent schools or Grammar schools in the next couple of days.

beinspired Wed 02-Mar-16 20:41:26

Good luck

teaforoneplease Thu 03-Mar-16 09:43:41

All good news for me. Thanks!

foragogo Fri 04-Mar-16 11:22:42

Hi tea, I've just very reluctantly declined a place for September for a different school. Good luck, hope you get good news.

teaforoneplease Fri 04-Mar-16 12:16:42

Well. Thank you so much for this information. I have contacted Caterham and they have told me that they can't confirm anything until after Monday 7th March. We have to go ahead and pay a deposit for Notre Dame Lingfield of £700 today which feels quite painful. I'm visiting Lingfield again on Monday as we may not have given it a fair viewing (very grumpy husband playing up that day)!

foragogo Fri 04-Mar-16 13:48:42

That's rubbish, all ours were same deadline of Monday 7th so level playing field. That's a bit naughty as, as you say, nothing will move until Tuesday as they can't give out places of the waiting list until they're sure first round lot not accepting. How crap. Might be someone with more experience than me around to offer advice. I specifically told the 2 schools we were (reluctantly - hardest decision ever) declining today rather than leaving it til Monday in the hope that it would give someone a lovely weekend, not more stress!

kidstaxidriver Fri 04-Mar-16 13:52:21

I also know 2 kids from my son's school turning down caterham and one has not put the paperwork in yet!

EggOver Fri 04-Mar-16 14:16:56

Just ring lingfield and check whether its today or monday the deposit is due. Tyey made a typo on our offer letter saying friday 7th march as the due date for deposits - no such date - im goven to believe it should be MONDAY - but do check and dont take my word on itsmile

Might buy you a few valuable hoursgrin

EggOver Fri 04-Mar-16 14:23:38

Incidentally weve decided to decline if C offer our DD a place from the wait list next week - have decided a different school is a much better fit for her.
We were prepared to lose our deposit on this school if C cropped up but having thought it thru our reasons for wanting C initally arent really valid in the grand scheme of things.

teaforoneplease Fri 04-Mar-16 14:24:01

Again, really helpful information from all those posting. This has made me feel much better. Lingfield confirmed Monday 7th deadline by mid-day and kindly agreed to show us around again on Monday morning. We are going to go ahead and accept Lingfield and pay the deposit and then we'll have to wait and see if he has made it to a place at Caterham. From what you have all said, there seems to be quite a bit of movement on the accepted places at Caterham. We're up to at least 7 from this chat alone.

EggOver Fri 04-Mar-16 14:29:10

Good luck tea

teaforoneplease Fri 04-Mar-16 14:46:36

Thanks EggOver. I must say, I do have a nagging worry that if he wasn't offered a place straight away, maybe he will struggle there. My DS is bright but not highly academic or motivated. I'm wondering whether Caterham will be too pressurised for him. I think I'm going slightly insane at the moment....

Ladymuck Fri 04-Mar-16 14:51:16

There is a relatively wide range of ability, especially in terms of those coming up from the prep school, so I don't think that you should be concerned on that score. There are simply fewer boys places at 11+ as the prep intake tends to be slightly boys heavy as is the 13+ intake, so 11+ tends to be slightly more girl heavy. And there is a lot going on, so he should find a niche somewhere.

foragogo Fri 04-Mar-16 15:03:15

Cant you pay the Lingfield deposit on Monday tea? I also have heard Monday is the deadline. Hopefully you will hear something from Caterham on Monday too and will have all the info then. We've just been through all the decision making drama and I'm so glad it's over so totally understand what you mean about going insane! I thought the preparation and exams were the worse part, I wasn't prepared for the weeks afterwards when big decisions had to be made! If it helps at all I know of around 14 children given initial offers for Caterham and I think 6 have taken up the places, rest going elsewhere. So although I dont know what proportion have officially notified yet, it sounds like it could go to waiting list. I also know lots of people who have gone there in the last year or so and all say that they settle them in fairly gently and none have struggled that I know of.

kidstaxidriver Fri 04-Mar-16 15:19:26

Monday 7th was the deadline for 3 of our schools too!

teaforoneplease Fri 04-Mar-16 16:34:11

Wow. Again, I'm really encouraged by the messages. Interesting re. Boys Vs Girls places. I hadn't factored that in at all but of course that makes sense because of the girls/boys areas and resources that they have. 2004/05 seemed to be a big year for baby boys, I seem to remember. Something in the water?? Also, thank you for the comfort that he'll probably get on OK and that they settle them in gently. Caterham do sell these principles but of course, you don't really know until you get there.

teaforoneplease Wed 09-Mar-16 13:23:15

Well, just to close this conversation, my DS son was not offered a place at Caterham. The school has said that no children on the waiting list are being offered places this year. I hadn't realised that they must have offered quite a few more places than they had available first time round. This ignorance on my part lead me to have false hope I think. Disappointed, but I guess Caterham may have been a stretch for my DS. We are off to Lingfield Notre Dame. Thanks all!

LiamLikesLemons Wed 09-Mar-16 13:34:54

tea how did you find out about caterham wait list? Did they write to you to say all places filled? We are on the wait list and yet have heard nothing despite writing to them to express our interest.

LiamLikesLemons Wed 09-Mar-16 13:36:31

Mind you - we ended up on waiting on C - we had offers of both Lingfield and Dunottar and chose Dunottar in the end based on distance. Both very good schools and it was difficult to decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now