Talk

Advanced search

Pan London and Surrey offers

(24 Posts)
hornetgirl Tue 01-Mar-16 08:32:18

Well done to everybody who has already heard smile

Spare a thought for all of us Londoners who have to wait until 5pm to log into a site which will probably have crashed to find out which one of our 6 choices we have been offered.

London secondary school admissions are a nightmare , we are in the position of being out of catchment for any school in our borough as the catchments in Bromley are so small these days, so we may not even get offered a school in Bromley!

So stressed, I just hope we hear at 5 and don't end up waiting all evening, need chocolate

SuburbanRhonda Tue 01-Mar-16 08:33:22

Well done?

hmm

hornetgirl Tue 01-Mar-16 08:36:49

I am happy for all the others on the threads, there seems to be a large number of children getting first choices. So well done to them as in congratulations smile

forkhandles4candles Tue 01-Mar-16 08:38:49

Nail biting here.......won't be able to look at 5 because of work, so hopefully any crashes will have been resolved by 6!

SuburbanRhonda Tue 01-Mar-16 08:41:37

Oh I see. You meant "congratulations", not "well done".

tiggytape Tue 01-Mar-16 09:00:42

It is a nail biting time but, even in London and Surrey, most people will get their first choice and the vast majority of them will get one of their top 3 preferences (I know that isn't always a great prospect but relatively few people are left with none of their 6 choices at all).
If you don't get what you want, it is of course hugely disappointing but today is the start of the process not the end.
In 2 or 3 weeks time, other people will have accepted or declined their places and new vacancies will result. Waiting lists can and do move right through summer and beyond. Appealing is stressful but is successful for many people every year.
If you aren't happy with what you're allocated today, there is every chance it won't actually be the school you end up with by September (again though I appreciate it would be nice to have good news today and not think about it again until you have to buy the uniform)

FrozenAteMyDaughter Tue 01-Mar-16 09:22:11

hornetgirl good luck. I hope you get the school you want tonight. I am not going through this myself bit have friends who are and, living in Bromley I know the.problems people are facing. It is only going to get worse.year.on year but noone seems to be doing anything to plan for extra seconday provision.

Anyway fingers crossed you are ok smile

forkhandles4candles Tue 01-Mar-16 09:24:30

or not a uniform - the schools I am hoping for don't have one. The school I really don't want but is the most likely does.....

Paperm0ver Wed 02-Mar-16 13:40:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

forkhandles4candles Wed 02-Mar-16 13:46:28

Paper - got AB, our 2nd choice. Happy enough with that. Will stay on waiting list for PHS - but may stick with AB anyway. The new Ofsted report comes out this week - will make for interesting reading! How are you thinking???

Paperm0ver Wed 02-Mar-16 14:16:17

forkhandles4candles Wed 02-Mar-16 14:22:27

I am exactly the same - perhaps we should march on Ofsted offices!

That is right - really did not want my nearest school R. High School - so am hopeful this is going to be good. Historically AB has had such a good vibe, especially for arty types like me and my DC, even if it has had a difficult time of late.

Your DC is younger, I guess - so you''ll have time to see where the new Head takes things....

Paperm0ver Wed 02-Mar-16 16:57:42

forkhandles4candles Thu 03-Mar-16 08:44:55

R High is really trying and I saw a fantastic production of Romeo and Juliet there...but it seems to be a place in lockdown, rather regimented, sending students along rather narrow lines. They had really bad results at GCSE this year. The head is retiring now, so a big job for someone....it should be fabulous, new building, central London, lots of connections to the nearby science institute, UCL etc....but something doesn't seem to work. I would have given it a go, but the atmosphere just felt colourless and stifled on the torus, unlike PHS and my impression of AB, which I didn't tour because I didn't think we stood a chance back then.

Paperm0ver Thu 03-Mar-16 18:17:43

forkhandles4candles Fri 04-Mar-16 08:24:50

In a personal communication, the head attributed it to what she called students coming late to secondary education...so I suppose she is blaming the immigrants. Not sure that is acceptable really. And I am pretty sure they are not all latecomers, just regular but disadvantaged central Londoners.

Paperm0ver Fri 04-Mar-16 08:55:03

forkhandles4candles Fri 04-Mar-16 09:01:24

My thoughts exactly. One could also look at it the other way round...children with diverse and sometimes extreme experiences of different cultures, two languages, in Central London surrounded by extraordinary resources etc etc,...all this can be made a plus if you know how to teach and manage, I think.

forkhandles4candles Fri 04-Mar-16 18:44:46

Boo hoo Paper, the ofsted report is here. Rather disappointed.....

Paperm0ver Fri 04-Mar-16 22:14:40

Paperm0ver Fri 04-Mar-16 22:18:27

forkhandles4candles Fri 04-Mar-16 23:10:56

The tee is a link from ab's own website.

forkhandles4candles Fri 04-Mar-16 23:11:48

Autocorrect arrgh "there is" not "the tee"

Paperm0ver Sat 05-Mar-16 09:16:51

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now