Talk

Advanced search

Year 7 entry: G&L or City London Scool girls - dilemma. What should I choose?

(10 Posts)
Adamajudeh Thu 25-Feb-16 17:26:10

Hi All, next week it s the choice deadlines for my DD. She is fortunate as she managed to get two offers.
I am asking her what schools she wants to choose and she is driving me crazy because she does not know. She likes both schools. We live in high street Ken and we are not far from G&L and LCSG ( just 25 min tube ride for the latter).
She is very academic but she likes sports,art, swimming.

How would you rank both school? Which one is mostly sought in terms of achievements?
Your thought is very much appreciated!

AnotherNewt Thu 25-Feb-16 17:33:32

How busy is the tube line she would take? Would you fancy doing it I. The morning rush hour whilst carrying a rucksack or messenger bag, plus sports hold-all, perhaps plus hockey stick and a musical instrument too?

MN164 Thu 25-Feb-16 17:41:50

No direct experience, so less valuable input, but ....

My guess is that the social life she has might be better concentrated in west London with G&L and more spread out with CLGS.

Results, anecodotes and facilities wise it's really hard to come up with any meaningful distinction. CLGS might currently have a slight edge on results, but I think that's a red herring.

Take her back to both schools on a school day. Do the commute with her. Even if you can't go into the schools again, I think that is what will tip her one way or the other.

Frankly, she's done well and is onto a winner either way.

Adamajudeh Thu 25-Feb-16 22:19:58

good points...thanks.

Michaelahpurple Fri 26-Feb-16 08:55:03

They are very different in atmosphere I think. gl girls much more active on the west London party circuit, and socially more Flicky-haired. City a bit more geeky and because of the dispersed home bases less intensely social. Big fan of city - I think there is scope for allowing them a bit longer to grow up socially, whilst making them confident of life in the city, but lots of friends v happy with gl too

MissGintyMarlow Fri 26-Feb-16 08:59:26

If you live High-Street Ken, go for G&L, much easier to get to and many more friends in the area.

neuroticnicky Fri 26-Feb-16 14:21:12

I agree with MissMissGintyMarlow that if you live in HSK your DD would be better off at G&L as) the site itself is nicer than CLGS with sports fields on site etc b) the commute is so much easier as your DD can be dropped off, go by number 9 or 10 bus or have only a couple of stops on the tube and c) her friends will all live locally whereas the girls at GLGS will come from far and wide. Travelling to and from the City in rush hour is no fun and your DD will waste an extra hour a day at least travelling for no good reason IMO.

neuroticnicky Fri 26-Feb-16 14:42:37

I should have added that I doubt the door to door commute from HSK to CLGS is only 25 minutes; possibly more like 45 minutes.

Adamajudeh Fri 26-Feb-16 18:47:52

Thank you I really appreciate your input.

originalmavis Fri 26-Feb-16 18:51:11

I love the city location. Is girls only a draw? Are you likely to remain in hsk?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now