Waiting lists for Independents - who got a place?(60 Posts)
I have a couple of friends on waiting lists for different Independent schools and was wondering who has gotten a waiting list place? So many schools over offer so is the waiting list just never used?
My daughter is also in the waiting list for one of the independent school, and I don't know how does it work. Am sure the schools is over offer places for the children. But maybe after the Grammar school results some of them will drop their offer from independent school. We just need to wait.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I should have been more clear and realise that this year no one will know whether they have places but meant for parents in previous years.
Id love to hear from others as well as my DD on 2 waitlists..
Likewise I'm suffering from wait list agony. Those of you who were offered places from the wait list in previous years, how long did it take? Tell us your stories please.
We were near the top of wait list for Emmanuel last year. Initially they were very positive about our chances. Then it turned out that more accepted than usual and they didn't expect to go to wait list at all. Same for Ibstock last year - they sent out a email saying there weren't going to offer off of wait list.
I hear Surbiton and PHS went to wait list - both very popular schools.
As several schools had bulge classes last year (WHS and St Catherine's) they may have been more conservative with offers this year - which means wait list might more more!
No rhythm or reason I'm afraid. Best piece of advice I was given last year was 'work with the offers you have' and don't discuss wait list with DC's as its a lottery as to whether you get a place off wait list.
Ibstock over-offered and had to put in an extra class next year, that's why there was no WL movement.
Thanks for the feedback. Anyone have any more stories?
Subiton over offered in 2015, and as a result probably took a more cautious approach in 2016. This could suggest that those schools that ended up with a bulge year - i.e. WHS and Ibstock in 2016 - would adopt a more cautious approach the following year? But do wait for the state school results to come in as things will move around more then. For instance I know of several ppl that got into Graveney, and other good state and Grammar schools and subsequently returned their private offers, so things will move. Good luck
A parent I know whose child was on the waiting list for Latymer Upper rang up every few days to show her continuing interest. Her child received a place eventually, and is now doing very well a few years on. I think they are more likely to offer places to someone who is committed to accepting the place, whereas there may be those on several waiting lists who waste admin time. I think this is not the time to wait politely for someone to call you.
Two years ago we had waitlists at Francis Holland Regent's Park and NHEHS. Got an offer in very early March from FH - about 48 hours before the response/deposit deadline for the initial round of offers, which we accepted (with the same deadline) - which was great as we did not even lose a deposit.
To FH (our favourite; much easier journey) we had expressed our willingness to accept immediately which may (or may not) have helped: When I called her, the registrar said "you saved me a call, I can offer you" - which nearly knocked me out...
A week or two earlier FH had told me they were not sure they were going to use the WL at all - the schools don't know until around the deadline.
We found both registrars helpful and seemingly interested in keeping us "warm". I expect activity to really kick off next week, good luck!
Thanks again. This is very interesting. It does make me wonder though whether they would keep you 'warm' even if you were at the bottom of the list and stood no chance? Just incase it all went wrong for them.
Friend's daughter got NHEHS off wait list 3 years back. Had rung and said they would accept immediately and how keen and committed to the school they were. Place came free as soon as state offers went out - they got a call on 2nd March almost first thing.
However, another friend's son didn't get any of his wait list places (LU, Hampton or Emanuel) despite constant calling right up to September and in the end they went with their state choice which they had accepted back in March (2 years ago).
There will certainly be some movement come Tuesday but as others have said it is a bit of a lottery.
Schools in SW London did not use their waiting lists much, if at all last year.
But it varies so much between years it is a case, as financial ads put it, that past performance is no indicator of the future.
Registrars should have some idea about their numbers by now, but may well not know for sure until the various deadline days. If they have identified a definite shortfall in acceptances, they usually re-offer straight away so that families can decide before other schools' deadlines.
Talking to the registrar so they remember you in a good way is helpful, as is (as pp said) stressing that you would accept immediately if offered. Also, if you are at a prep, have them press your DC's case as a desirable pupil (and find out, in a possibly more frank way than they tell enquiring parents, the view on how many they might be taking from the waiting list).
Thank you to all who have shared their advice and wait list stories.
Anyone with experience of wait lists at Queen's College, Queen's Gate or St James Girls' school?
KGS went to their waitlist last year. so did Surbiton.
City Boys/ Colet Court/Francis Holland/Putney High?
I've just posted on LEH waitlist thread but from what I recall of last year for the girls- Godolphin did not go to waitlist, LEH had minimal waitlist, Putney, NHE, KGS and Surbiton all went to their waitlist - however- we had friends who got offers from those schools after deposits were paid elsewhere- eg after the final dates that decisions had to be made for other schools. So the question is how long are you willing to wait- are you willing to lose your deposit? If a place comes up after Easter are you willing to lose a first term in fees?
Thanks aeganblue - I'm not sure of many people who can afford to lose a first terms fees.
I know people over the past few years who have got offers from the waiting list at Latymer, LEH, Putney, Wimbledon, Surbiton, KGS and G&L (off the top of my head - I'm sure there were other schools too). Some were actively pushing for it and some pleasantly surprised. So it definitely does happen, and I think the odds are better if you let the school know how much you want the place. But as everyone has said, it's different every year. I know what a horrible position it is - my DS1 was waitlisted for our first choice school some years back, and did get a place about two weeks after the initial offers went out as I recall.
SPGS - now that is a surprise! I wonder which schools massively over offer in the first place?
All schools over offer, because they know that everyone applies to more than one.
'massive' over offering just means that fewer people turn down offers than they allow for, and then it's the school crossing it's fingers for the last few days.
How many they offer is a bit of a black art, but it's based on continual evaluation of responses to offers over the years, plus registrars sharing info on 'how many schools are you applying for?' so that between them, schools have some idea how many actual candidates are behind the applications number.
When they over offer it does make me wonder why they put people through the pain of a waiting list. Why not just over offer slightly and then actually use the waiting list? That way people actually stand a chance. Realistically if you are say number 5 or 6 on a waiting list when a school has over offered, your chances are slim, yet the school will tell you that you are 'in a good position'.
Join the discussion
Please login first.