Advanced search

Highgate School

(40 Posts)
Masu1 Fri 19-Feb-16 08:08:28

My son was short-listed for a place, congratulation to all who were offered a place . I would like to ask all members here who got more than one offer for Dc, and they are going to reject Highgate offer for other schools please could you do this as soon as possible possible by calling Highgate school please as the waiting is killing us here on the waiting list hoping for a place.
This is our one and only choice please.

ReggaeShark Fri 19-Feb-16 08:14:19


emanuela Fri 19-Feb-16 08:31:31

Hi masu do you have other alternatives? I don't want to discourage you but it is difficult to get a call from the waiting list especially for a boy. Is this for 11+? You need to have a plan of action.

emanuela Fri 19-Feb-16 08:32:16

I mean state/grammar alternatives, you said that Highgate is your only choice amongst the independent schools

OddBoots Fri 19-Feb-16 08:39:00

I don't think you are likely to hear until the national offers day (1st March) as there are likely to be people looking at state too.

Masu1 Fri 19-Feb-16 09:52:11


Coconutty Fri 19-Feb-16 10:44:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Masu1 Fri 19-Feb-16 15:24:53

I know , but I'm trying to keep some hope as I was told it's a very short waiting list .

Masu1 Fri 19-Feb-16 16:42:28

Anyone turning down Highgate offer please?

emanuela Fri 19-Feb-16 16:52:28

Masu, it is way too early. Many people are away for half term and people want to think about it.

There are two open days on Tuesday and Wednesday for offer holders, some parents who are undecided will want to wait until then.

So sorry for you but I don't think you will get an answer very quickly.

Masu1 Fri 19-Feb-16 18:46:34

I did call the school and explained to them the whole situation , they said the waiting list is short so there's still a chance . Anyway I hope so.

Mandzi34 Fri 19-Feb-16 18:58:36

Masu1 - did they over offer in the first place? As some schools do this and then have a waiting list.

Masu1 Sat 20-Feb-16 09:21:12

They didn't say they over offer but I think they do, they seemed optimistic or that's how I wanted to receive the information anyway , I'm pregnant and my hormones are everywhere 😭. Sorry.

Mandzi34 Sat 20-Feb-16 10:12:22

Oh Masu1 I really feel for you. I hope you get some good news. Maybe ask your current Head Teacher to also ring and express your wishes for a place.

Masu1 Sat 20-Feb-16 17:08:12

😭 No one is talking at all about Highgate, so I don't know who's turning down their offer or who is accepting .

Masu1 Mon 22-Feb-16 08:55:04

I'm running out of patience 😭

Coffeeismycupoftea Mon 22-Feb-16 10:44:23

Last year, Highgate did things differently to the other North London boys' schools in that they didn't give you the March 2 deadline (or whatever it was, the day after the state secondary allocations) to accept the place offered. They said they were giving firm places on a first-come first-served basis to those that had offers and if you left it to the deadline, then there may not be a place left. This is very different to the other (and I'd argue more honourable) schools that allowed you the full time to mull over what can seem like a huge decision. With the other schools, if you accepted the offer on the last day of the deadline, they were still obliged to give you the place.

If they're doing the same again this year, then I think it's unlikely they'll go to waiting list, sorry OP. They can afford to over-offer by more than the schools that risk having to add on an extra class if more accept offers than they were anticipating.

Don't know if I've explained that very well, but it might be worth asking. Someone referred to the Highgate system as 'exploding offers'.

Masu1 Mon 22-Feb-16 18:54:08

Thank you.
Do you think I should contact the school again for update?

Coffeeismycupoftea Mon 22-Feb-16 19:19:17

Gosh no idea, we've no waiting list experience. I think it said on the bumph they sent with the exam dates or the interview letter that you had to accept quick or risk the place. Last year, that is, no idea this year.

lhrmum Mon 22-Feb-16 19:49:24

Masu1, best of luck, We are waiting on a wait list for our top choice also and it is killing me! I hope it turns out very well for you.

Am I alone here?? I find the idea of exploding offers really troubling. I think it says something really unpleasant about the school. To be so cavalier about a decision facing a 10-11 year old child! wow. I don't think that is an environment I would choose for my ds. I'd say look out for the red flags before you jump in there.

Masu1 Tue 23-Feb-16 05:51:16

Thank you.
what's really bothering me is that not knowing if anyone is accepting Highgate offer or turning it down no one is talking about it at all.

Coffeeismycupoftea Tue 23-Feb-16 08:17:21

But who's going to talk about it? It's not some conspiracy of silence - it's just people making their own minds up without feeling the need to share on a message board. And even if someone comes on here and says 'we're turning an offer down', it means nothing without knowing how many places there are and how many were offered and what every single family plans on doing.

Coffeeismycupoftea Tue 23-Feb-16 08:19:07

And yes lhrmum, I agree re exploding offers, especially since the other schools don't do it.

friendofafriend Tue 23-Feb-16 11:34:42

I have heard from a friend who went today to the offer morning that they are already almost half way to filling the places. ( this may be spin though!)
It may be wise to have a plan B as they may not get to reserve?
I think there is another offer morning this week as well.
The deadline is the 7th march so I am not sure if they can go to reserve until everyone has given their answer. This is why you have not heard as the offers only came out 4 days ago so many people will not have decided.

Of course hopefully there is still a chance that they will not fill all their places from the offers and then they will definitely go to wait list. It is a matter of when and being patient I guess.

Hope this helps

Masu1 Tue 23-Feb-16 19:47:49

Thank you, two friends are declining their Highgate offer but still there is the over offering thing confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now