Talk

Advanced search

Best preparation for Alevel French,History and English Lit

(15 Posts)
Dreamgirls234 Thu 18-Feb-16 18:19:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeenAndTween Thu 18-Feb-16 19:42:43

Don't know about reading, but we sent my DD to a 3 week language summer camp after GCSEs in preparation for doing Spanish A level. I think it really helped her, but can't promise as she is still only y12. Also recommended is watching DVDs in the target language.

Dreamgirls234 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:44:42

TeenAndTween Thu 18-Feb-16 19:49:03

Arm and a leg - E2000 plus flights.
But it did keep her busy for 3 weeks and was helpful educationally.
just don't mention the gastroenteritis, hospital and IV line

boys3 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:52:59

A few ideas for history here www.hist.cam.ac.uk/prospective-undergrads/virtual-classroom/suggested-reading ; possibly a stretch but if your DD is reasonably bright and has an enquiring mind could be worth a look.

Dreamgirls234 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:56:30

BossWitch Thu 18-Feb-16 19:58:01

Get her to go to the school's library and ask if they stock copies of the English Review magazine. Is aimed at 6th formers and is a great intro to critical reading. Libraries normally have them as reference only but she can flick through and copy articles she likes the look of.

In terms of texts to read, a good place to start is obviously the set texts for the lit a level she's intending to take, but she could also look at the set texts of other exam boards or the old AS specifications. All of the set text lists can be found online. Include poetry and drama as well as prose.

DrDreReturns Thu 18-Feb-16 19:59:33

I did a level French. The thing that really helped me was doing an exchange with a French family. I spent two weeks with them only speaking French. We returned the favour and their son stayed with us for a couple of weeks. It really helped my French.

BossWitch Thu 18-Feb-16 20:02:59

Oh also have a look at the mooc options (massive online only courses) offered by unis for free. Might be a bit much for now but worth looking into once she is into a levels.

pieceofpurplesky Thu 18-Feb-16 20:06:09

Try and find an exchange programme where she goes to live in France for the summer. Or look for a voluntary job in a newspaper/tv/radio. I would suggest reading all different genres and ages - Margaret Atwood, Angela carter, I remember reading 'picture of Dorian grey' after my o levels ...

LIZS Thu 18-Feb-16 20:14:30

It would be useful to narrow down the topics and start reading around. Ds did a short Coursera course between l6 and u6 which was online but run by uni departments. Some Unis also do taster lectures and summer schools.

HocusCrocus Thu 18-Feb-16 20:17:05

For History - I would suggest some books re historiography. If interested will ask Ds and recommend.

Dreamgirls234 Thu 18-Feb-16 20:27:29

Figmentofmyimagination Wed 02-Mar-16 20:06:49

I have just come across a brilliant website of contemporary poetry: Anthonywilsonpoetry.com. Try it. My DD would have loved to find this in the sixth form.

Figmentofmyimagination Wed 02-Mar-16 20:07:44

Here is the link - anthonywilsonpoetry.com/2011/06/07/lifesaving-poems-2/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now