Talk

Advanced search

SPGS

(16 Posts)
schoolschool Mon 15-Feb-16 09:06:16

My DD has been fortunate enough to to have been offered a place at SPGS. There are many negative stories about life at the school but we had a very positive impression of the educational offering when we toured the school. I would be very grateful if any parents with DDs at the school could give me their views - negative and positive - of the school. Most of the negative things I have heard are second hand rather from current students / parents. I have read the thread from January 2015 about the school. Thank you!

notatigermum999 Mon 15-Feb-16 11:48:00

Would b v interested in this as well. My DD has been offered a place and it seems ideal for her but we don't know girls at the school currently.

DD is not uber confident but knows her mind and is confident without any bitchiness or arrogance. She is also v v kind and doesn't put up with any sort of alpha girl/queen bee nastiness.

Not worried about keeping up academically as she thrives in that sort of environment but more focused on likely peer set and what sort of peer pressure there may be in a school that is so academically successful with a reputation for producing a specific sort of loud, confident intellectual woman. Btw I have no issues with that product!!

Views by people with actual experience with the school recently would be appreciated. Think we have all heard various rumours and murmurings about SPGS ... Thank you

Almostdone2 Mon 15-Feb-16 14:20:43

I would also be grateful for feedback. I do know a few families that have girls there and they seem happy.

TeddTess Mon 15-Feb-16 17:40:43

you always hear bad things about schools which others can't get into.

if you liked it, go for it!

Dragonfly99 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:59:15

My DD is in MIV (yr7) and is loving it so far. Her friends all seem nice, certainly haven't heard of any alpha girl behaviour so far. There is so much going on, they all seem to join whatever interests them without peer pressure to do one thing vs another. There are some girls who are really good at one thing but nobody seems to be good at everything!

Almostdone2 Tue 16-Feb-16 09:28:25

Thank you dragonfly. For us part of the problem is we were managing dd's expectations to such a point that she didn't really consider getting an offer.

clb Wed 17-Feb-16 10:50:09

My DDs are both at SPGS and we and they are very happy with the school. One of its great strengths, I think, is how well it caters for individuals: there doesn't seem to be the sort of tribal type I see (perhaps wrongly) at one or two other London girls' schools.

Please do message me if I can be of any help.

neuroticnicky Wed 17-Feb-16 11:09:44

The terrible truth is that we mums whose DDs have not gotten into SPGS are jealous and people tend to run it down unfairly. I have known both pupils and teachers at SPGS and its a fabulous school which virtually every MC parent in London would send their DD to if they had the choice.

notatigermum999 Wed 17-Feb-16 11:58:53

Thanks neuroticnicky. We feel v fortunate that DD got in. There is no smugness in our house!!! The whole 11+ process is hideous imho and I have no idea what calculus was performed to assess the kids through it. We are v happy with DD results but equally we were just as happy with her approach to the preparation and would have been happy for her no matter what the schools decided (although we would have been furious with the schools for not offering her places!!!). I hope all the kids did well and everyone is pleased with their outcome as it was such a stressful and painful slog.

MissGintyMarlow Wed 17-Feb-16 12:01:38

Well, I turned down a place at SPGS for dd1 and so did some other parents I know, but that's not to say it isn't a fabulous school - we just preferred another school. If you liked it best of all the schools you saw then go for it.

neuroticnicky Wed 17-Feb-16 12:54:42

Yes I do know a few other parents who turned down a place at SPGS but this doesn't alter the fact that it is the best girls' school in London with inspirational teaching. You therefore IMO opinion need a pretty good reason to go elsewhere such as cost, travel distance or wanting co-ed.

schoolschool Wed 17-Feb-16 13:52:21

Thank you very much for the feedback. The school is close for us and my daughter seemed to like the teachers she met very much. My main concern was the pastoral side of things, so your posts were useful. My daughter is very academic, enthusiastic, kind and sensitive. She is confident in her academic abilities but she doesn't excel at a particular sport or musical instrument. He comment about catering for the individual was especially good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

jeanne16 Wed 17-Feb-16 17:08:19

Actually there is one further reason why people turn down SPGS and that is the astronomical fees. We chose PHS for my DD as we felt the fees offered better value for money. She did very well there so I had no complaints.

teacher54321 Wed 17-Feb-16 17:11:20

I Used to work there and it is fabulous. Amazing teachers and facilities. My knowledge is a bit out of date as I worked there nearly 10 years ago.

usernameusernameusername Fri 04-Mar-16 19:14:10

Hi, I personally, go to SPGS and started quite recently.
I know this is quite biased, but definitely go for it!
The competition isn't as fierce as you think, with only a few girls standing out here and there.
Whether your daughter is sporty, arty, or musical there's definitely something for her.
There are sports team opportunities from the very start and it's a great way of meeting people outside your form.
Most of the teachers are extremely welcoming and lovely, and let me assure you, the food is AMAZING. Every day there are 4 food options, "fish", "classic", "theatre" or "veggie", as well as a dessert, a salad bar, natural yogurt made at school and a fruit bar.
If you're worried about transport, Hammersmith has 4 different tube lines running to it, District, Picadilly, Hammersmith & City and Circle, as well as an abundance of buses. They also provide a school bus scheme if you'd prefer that.
I hope your daughter chooses SPGS - you won't regret it!

schoolschool Sun 04-Sep-16 12:42:13

Just by way of follow up, my daughter started at SPGS last week and, although it has only been a couple of days, she has had a very happy to start to term and both our impressions of the girls in her form (and their mothers) are very positive. Everyone seems pretty normal. Thank you again to everyone who posted advice. I think we've made the right choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now