Talk

Advanced search

Any 6th forms still accepting applications? (London/Hertfordshire)

(34 Posts)
almostfinished1514 Sun 14-Feb-16 22:02:26

Anyone know of any 6th forms (not colleges) that are still accepting applications for entry this September (2016)?

DD has an offer for her current school but wants a change, and a place at a private school but without a bursary so she can't go there.
DD is planning on doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths (No chemistry if only allowed to do 3).

She doesn't mind a commute, or if it's single-sex or co-ed.

Ideas?

Thanks all,

superram Sun 14-Feb-16 22:05:14

They may have closed but most 6th form are desperate for kids as they need the funding do she should be able to go after results day.

almostfinished1514 Sun 14-Feb-16 22:10:43

superram

Can you suggest any schools?
Most of the good schools surrounding us seem to be oversubscribed for 16+

almostfinished1514 Mon 15-Feb-16 09:09:41

Bumpity bump

Needmoresleep Mon 15-Feb-16 09:21:35

I think I made the same suggestion on your last thread. Kings College Maths School. Not very school like but they apparently got fab Oxbridge results, though I can't find these on their website.

almostfinished1514 Mon 15-Feb-16 09:31:47

Needmoresleep

Applied there about a week and a half ago.

They have 11 Oxbridge places at the moment.
www.kcl.ac.uk/newsevents/news/newsrecords/2016/01%20january/outstanding-offers-at-kings-maths-school.aspx

Just looking for other school as well, so she can hopefully have a choice.

AgonyBeetle Mon 15-Feb-16 11:03:26

Most 6th form applications will have closed now. But lots allow last-minute applications after the GCSE results come out becuase there will be a huge amount of churn on places - most people make multiple applications, so 6th forms have no idea until after the event which of their successful applicants will meet their offer criteria, or actually take up the place offered.

Woodhouse College is the only one I know about, and they def take results day applications, though I imagine it would be a very mad scramble and you might not be guaranteed the subject combinations you want. Contact the ones you might be interested in to find out what their procedure for post-results applications is.

MEgirl Mon 15-Feb-16 13:52:23

Have you asked at Yavneh?

almostfinished1514 Mon 15-Feb-16 14:11:51

MEgirl

We eventually decided against Yavneh (well more DD than me).
DD's heard a lot of stuff from her close friend at Yavneh - some positive, some negative, and that swung her away from it.

AgonyBettle - I know most have closed, but some of the independent schools don't have deadlines/have spring exams.
I would be willing for DD to apply to any school, even private, as long as there is a chance that she could get a bursary.

We're thinking of applying to St James Girls' school - they have no deadline - we're just unsure of how likely it is she'll get a place and if she gets a place, how likely it is she'll be given a bursary.

AgonyBeetle Mon 15-Feb-16 14:26:45

Are you open to the idea of waiting to make a late application post=GCSE?

The danger of applying now is that the schools that are still accepting applications are doing so because they are under-subscribed. If she's likely to get good GCSE results, then she'd be in a strong position to make a late application for more sought-after 6th forms.

almostfinished1514 Mon 15-Feb-16 14:32:57

AgonyBeetle - in a way yes,
I think it would be better for DD (e.g. stimulate her more), if she knew she at least has a conditional offer whilst she takes her GCSEs. She should be able to surpass her current school's entry requirements quite comfortably and I feel like this won't motivate her as much as it should.
Also, most of the schools that will accept applications post-GCSEs are colleges rather than schools. I don't think that (in my opinion) a college environment is that great because colleges often seem to lack the facilities and pastoral care that a 6th form will offer.
KCL Maths was DD's choice but I don't think she wants to apply to a college.
If it was a 6th form, I would be happy to apply post-GCSEs if I had to, there just don't seem to be any that will accept post-GCSEs.

almostfinished1514 Mon 15-Feb-16 14:37:04

*Message decided to send before I was ready....
It's completely 50/50 whether she will get good results or not.
Her predicted grades are (currently, keep being adjusted) 1A*, 6As, 3BS, but she's definitely capable of getting 5/6A*s.

I'm trying to think of all the good state schools in our area....
Do you know much about St Michael's?

bojorojo Mon 15-Feb-16 15:15:19

I was going to suggest where my DD went to school in Hertfordshire but 1 A* prediction will not get a bursary because the academics are not strong enough. That would put her near the bottom of their attainment range. Normally they look for very strong academics - 8 plus A* and gifted in some area.

almostfinished1514 Mon 15-Feb-16 15:24:39

bojorojo - suggest anyway?

DD's predicted grades are much lower than both of us would have thought - As well as this, some of her teachers have predicted the entire class the same grade e.g. DD's been getting straight A*s in Chemistry this year but is predicted (together with her entire class) an A.
She's doing additional maths, was gifted in 5 subjects etc

AgonyBeetle Mon 15-Feb-16 15:31:30

*I'm trying to think of all the good state schools in our area....
Do you know much about St Michael's?*

If you mean the Catholic grammar school in North Finchley then yes, I do. It's a good school, sixth form has a wider intake than the lower school in terms of academics. It's VERY school-y, if that's what you're after. Depends whether your dd is happy in an environment that keeps a very close eye on the students' comings and goings, though with the downside of being a bit petty and restrictive (StM), or whether she wants somewhere with a much wider focus that will inspire her but also expect her to take responsibility for her own learning (Woodhouse). Both very good, but very very different ethos. Results probably comparable, given the different intakes.

AgonyBeetle Mon 15-Feb-16 15:33:03

FCH also good if you want a school environment with slightly lower entry requirements than StM.

almostfinished1514 Mon 15-Feb-16 15:33:27

AgonyBeetle
-You are very pro-Woodhouse.....

Different intakes?

AgonyBeetle Mon 15-Feb-16 15:36:36

Yes, good experiences with Woodhouse. smile

Yes, they have very different intakes - StM has the selective intake who came into the school at Y7, with the addition of newcomers at 6th form, who have to pass a reasonably high bar (5As, iirc?).

Woodhouse standard offer (like Fortismere) is 5Bs inc Eng and Maths, so a wider ability range.

almostfinished1514 Mon 15-Feb-16 15:39:39

DD's current school seems much better than FCH at A level....

Her PGs are much lower than I thought and she thought.

She thinks she will get 5A*S+

PGs seem like they're worthless.

And why do state schools care about PGs so much? DD got into one of the top private schools in the country with her "average" predicted grades!

ParcelP Mon 15-Feb-16 17:56:05

What was that "top private school"?

almostfinished1514 Mon 15-Feb-16 17:59:00

ParcelP
One of the top schools... (NLCS)
Why?

Funandgamesandfun Mon 15-Feb-16 19:30:26

JFS are currently holding 23 Oxbridge offers, not sure many state schools, and indeed many private schools can match that. It's a big 6th form so plenty of scope to find likeminded friends. Shame she decided against Yavneh, the 6th form is second to none for sciences and they have 8 Oxbridge offers this year.

Ladymuck Mon 15-Feb-16 20:08:30

Don't know North London that well, but south of the river you need to have 8A* to be in the running for a bursary at 6th form.

Agree with the other posters - you are unlikely to find a school at this stage who will make a bursary offer, but you may have a chance once results are out. So if she is keen to move, and able to achieve those grades then she will have her option to move. I guess it depends on how motivated to move she is.

almostfinished1514 Mon 15-Feb-16 20:14:21

Funandgamesandfun
I don't actually think that DD would settle in JFS well. This is coming from a very pessimistic person, but DD knows of many in her year at JFS and she said that none of the crowds are similar to her own. She is a social anxious and shy person and I don't think JFS would be good because she would either stick out like a sore thumb or become more invisible than she is at her current school.

Ladymuck - All the schools she applied to seem to give bursaries on how well they did on their exams.
We'll probably submit Dd's mock results with her predicted grades, they would be higher. And I don't know much about it, but St James doesn't seem incredibly academic so it might have slightly lower requirements.

AgonyBeetle Mon 15-Feb-16 20:22:31

If she's socially anxious and shy, then St Michael's def worth a look, very good on the nurturing front, and tends to attract families with quite traditional values. And small enough that she won't get lost in the crowd.

I don't know if they accept late applications, but might be worth asking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now