advice please..yr 7 parents eve

(6 Posts)
worriedmumred Fri 12-Feb-16 23:03:29

Ds 11 (12 in June) first proper parents evening last night meeting each subject teacher. Every teacher said almost the same thing:

Lots of potential and ability (as evidenced in homework and tests)

Never offers answers in class but will answer when directed

Is easily distracted

Does not produce enough work to a high enough standard in class

My ds is transitioning from tiny primary to massive comp, but now at mid February we really expect more from him. From around yr 4 we have had the same issue, he doesn't take pride in his work and doesn't want to push himself. He is musically gifted and is very sociable and happy, but it feels he is not reaching his full potential...whatever that may be. Dh and I both work hard and also do work at home in the evenings so I think he sees that 'work' is a part of real life.

The only answer he has to this is that he doesn't like being a show off so he keeps quiet confusedconfusedconfused

Any advice please???? TIA

lljkk Sat 13-Feb-16 09:48:57

The only problem is he doesn't produce good enough work in class? Why is it not good enough? Is he below expectations for his set?

enderwoman Sun 14-Feb-16 13:52:18

Not putting hand up is not necessarily a bad thing.

Of course his class work won't be as good as his homework. If the class teacher notices that he distracts people or is distracted by certain members of the class then it's up to her to sort it. Does he put in the effort with his homework and revise for tests?

enderwoman Sun 14-Feb-16 16:53:35

I actually read this recently which might interest you.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/9140250

BackforGood Sun 14-Feb-16 17:54:05

I don't think the 'not answering questions' is an issue so much as the "easily distracted in class" <- means is messing about in lessons. That is what I would be having conversations with him about.

worriedmumred Sun 14-Feb-16 21:34:38

Thank you everyone for replies! The thing with homework is me literally standing over him:
If you write more, extra marks
The content needs more depth of analysis of text
Handwriting itself!
The distraction thing is immaturity and he is a procrastinator
I will read the link, thank you
Anyone with experience of dreamy child and how to motivate them without ruining the very good relationship I have with him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now