Talk

Advanced search

Are my sons grade good for a year 9 student?

(10 Posts)
Proudmummy21 Thu 11-Feb-16 22:51:03

My son has gotten his term 1 report and we would like to know how his grades match up to the grades in England. We are currently in Dubai, but We are going to be moving him to England to live with his brothers by Grade 10. And we want to move him into a excellent school so we want to know how good these grades are.

English: 6c (Target 7b)

Maths: 6b (Target 7a)

Science 6a (Target 7b)

Arabic 7c

Islamic: 7b

Art: 4a

French: 5c

Geography: 6a

History: 6b

Ict : 6b (75%)

P.E: 5c

Bolognese Thu 11-Feb-16 23:04:29

Its all relative but I would look at the targets and results as average to good for an average student.

I would expect an improvement at a better school but looking at those grades he is average.

Proudmummy21 Thu 11-Feb-16 23:14:56

So if he achieved his targets, he would be good for next year.

BertrandRussell Thu 11-Feb-16 23:19:52

It does depend- is he a high flier? If so, they are-sorry- a bit average. If he's average, then they are quite good.

Can't you compare with his brother if he's going to the same school?

TheTigerIsOut Thu 11-Feb-16 23:28:32

I think it also depends on the school expectations for their pupils. Or. A local secondary expects their pupils to complete level 7 by the end of Y7 (they are ranked as outstanding, so I suppose they should have a nice way to get to such level without burning the students up). DS' school is more average, the expectations are similar to the ones you mention as targets.

BertrandRussell Thu 11-Feb-16 23:42:16

"A local secondary expects their pupils to complete level 7 by the end of Y7 (they are ranked as outstanding, so I suppose they should have a nice way to get to such level without burning the students up)"

Jesus, really? Are you sure about that? They are expecting an average child to progress 2/3 or even 4 levels in one year? That can't be right!

Hastagwhatever Thu 11-Feb-16 23:53:52

Are the levels the same across the board?.

Dd year 7 is a 6c or 5a. I find the levels very confusing ds is a 4a in maths year 4 but isn't in the top set.

noblegiraffe Thu 11-Feb-16 23:55:51

Level 7 by the end of Y9 would be probably an A grade kid. Not amazing but pretty good.

sunshinemeg Fri 12-Feb-16 00:06:05

They are pretty good, and I speak as a teacher. Level 7c becomes around an A- at GCSE, therefore you can extrapolate what you hope they would achieve. 6a = high B, 6b = middle B etc.
The art grade stands out as poor however.

TheTigerIsOut Fri 12-Feb-16 08:32:59

Bertrand, yes, that's what they are expecting eventhough there will be obviously pupils that won't manage. Even my tutorial obsesed friend, who insists her children should have at least 5 extra hours of tutorials a week despite having very able children, felt the need to complain to the school.

DS targets for the end of Y9 are level 7 or 8. He is in the top set in most subjects hence the level 8 expectation, but he is also dyslexic and don't do well in exams. So if he wants to reach level 7, we will need to work very hard...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now