Talk

Advanced search

Surbiton High School

(25 Posts)
Greengagesummer Mon 08-Feb-16 16:17:01

Can anyone give me a feel for the academic range at SHS and how well they teach across it?
I understand that they have an enrichment programme and creative writer in residence & entrepreneur in residence, but wondered how well these are integrated into daily lessons - worthwhile efforts or glittery packaging?
Thank you.

DarkBlueEyes Mon 08-Feb-16 16:21:37

My daughter is there. I'd say she was average to above average. I wish I knew. Our state school wouldn't tell me so I have no idea really.... apart from her SAT levels at the end of year 6. They certainly show you the mega achievers on open days, so there are some incredibly bright girls there. I think they are about 110 in the league tables (but am happy to be corrected) and our other offers (Putney/Notting Hill - higher and St Catherine's - lower) might be considered to be better schools. However DD1 is very happy there and she is being well catered for and hopefully stretched.

Greengagesummer Mon 08-Feb-16 16:34:22

Thank you Dark blue eyes.

Are the ipads a gimmick or do they for an integral part of learning?

I'm not too bothered by league positions; like you, we have offers at schools above & below & waiting for last one on Friday ☺ but the learning experience. I felt that the recent open day was very slick and impressive but not sure how much the bells and whistles actually permeated classrooms , rather than being nice selling points.
I'm glad that your DD is happy there; it makes everythino worthwhile!

Oh, another quick question: how often do you get grades/reports/parents meetings? Can you email individual teachers if necessary or heads of year?

Thanks again

DarkBlueEyes Mon 08-Feb-16 16:41:37

DD uses her iPad extensively for homework - not a gimmick at all, they do nearly everything on it - to the extent I've had to buy a wireless printer!. I'd say the open days were very slick and every so slightly scary, but I guess they need to impress the stripy blazer brigade (we came from a normal state church primary so were more easily impressed I feel!). We have had two parent evenings so far, I didn't go to the first one as you get 5 minutes with each teacher! The second one was bonkers but it was good to go. You can monitor their progress on the MIS which is very very good. I have had to email the form teacher on one occasion who was super helpful. I am generally very happy. And DD loves it!

Greengagesummer Mon 08-Feb-16 17:06:29

That's great to hear.

Thanks again for replying.

Greengagesummer Tue 09-Feb-16 17:52:49

Would love to hear from any other parents with DD at Surbiton, especially further up the school.
What are the best & worst aspects?
What is pastoral care like, especially when bullying happens?
Please message me if you prefer - thanks smile

piupiu Tue 09-Feb-16 18:25:27

I'm following this thread with interest. We too have to make the decision about SHS this month and would love to hear parents thoughts on the school. Thanks

Greengagesummer Mon 15-Feb-16 10:51:53

I know it's half term but if any parents have any comments about their daughter's senior school experiences, I'd love to hear them! And I think others would too.

Greengagesummer Mon 15-Feb-16 11:00:10

Our particular issue is having offers at LEH & SHS. Obviously have a reasonably academic DD but want to choose the most inspiring school for her, especially given the fees aren't vastly different. She is unsure, so we will take another look at LEH. She's sporty, but not in the main sports of either school.

Any thoughts most welcome.

Hopefully we will come away with a strong gut feel in the end!

pixelchick10 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:26:10

Our daughter goes to SHS now in Lower Sixth has been there since Y4. Got a great clutch of GCSEs now studying for As. It's a good school with great 'value added'. Has really instilled a love of studying in her - she won't come out of her room this half term as she is revising so hard!!! Good pastoral care they stamp on any bullying immediately.

plum44 Thu 18-Feb-16 20:48:19

My daughter came half way through senior from a state school. She is thriving at SHS. Im really impressed with the teaching and the pastoral care at the school. She works hard but has fun too which is important. By the way the ipad makes life easy, and is far from a gimmick. She can email her homework directly, email her teacher if she's worried about something and check general information within school.

Richmondmumofthree Sun 29-Jan-17 09:19:13

Gosh.. thank you for all this feedback. I have an offer for SHS Year 7 and these threads have given me a great insight of academic breadth of SHS my DD is only average but a very pushy independent prep where kids are tutored to death and applying to the most selective schools in the whole country .. so I think SHS sounds a great fit for DD as she is sporty too

amidawish Sun 29-Jan-17 09:34:09

great to see this thread, hello darkblueeyes from the schools mega thread 2 years ago!
DD2 got an offer from SHS yesterday grin, the first offer she's had and the one i was least hopeful about so am hoping we will actually have a choice!

Richmondmumofthree Sun 29-Jan-17 12:25:38

Amidawish congrats. Us too. Can u ask which other schools
You applied for/hoping for?

amidawish Sun 29-Jan-17 15:40:35

KGS and St Catherine's Twickenham

Richmondmumofthree Mon 30-Jan-17 08:32:28

Amidawish , St Catherine's is a really excellent school. Good luck.smile

amidawish Mon 30-Jan-17 09:19:10

i love it too. it is going to be a hard decision if she gets more offers. where else are you waiting for?

Richmondmumofthree Mon 30-Jan-17 12:33:15

Didn't make it for Wimbledon high. Waiting in Putney high & ibstock places as well...waiting game...

amidawish Mon 30-Jan-17 12:48:33

they're all tough schools, the waiting lists should move.
Are you waiting to hear from any others? St Catherine's?

amidawish Mon 30-Jan-17 12:49:33

oh are you waiting to hear from Putney & Ibstock? on first reading i thought you meant she got a wait-list place.

richmondven12 Mon 30-Jan-17 13:31:08

Hi do you know you didn't make it in WHS? The letters don't come out until Tuesday...

amidawish Mon 30-Jan-17 13:41:15

we didn't apply to WHS.

Thisdoesnotgeteasier Mon 30-Jan-17 14:09:02

Are any of you with Surbiton offers contemplating state options or just private schools? DD is middle of the pack academically but strong on extra curricular. She's been waitlisted at Surbiton and we are waiting for a few others or similar academic standards (we didn't go for the likes of LEH or SPGS obviously). We are smack in the middle of the Waldegrave catchment area. Currently grappling with whether we should go that route and save ourselves close to £20k per year. Trying to work out if the opportunities are that much better at the likes of Surbiton or St Catherine's/Ibstock than at Waldegrave, which gets such good reviews.

Ashers40 Mon 30-Jan-17 18:06:17

There are always arguments for and against. I think if we were in catchment for a really great state school and the private school fees would be a stretch I'd go for the state option. Waldegrave got 51% A*/A at GCSE and SHS got 70% which is a sizeable difference but one is academically selective and one is not. For a middle of the pack child I'd want to know if Waldegrave will get the best out of her. It's often easy to see how the top sets are stretched and the bottom sets are supported but what happens to those in the middle? You want a school who will enable her to realise her potential. Also academically she may be towards the bottom of the year group and you have to consider the impact on self esteem (having said that she may find new subjects she excels at). So, that's no help really is it? 😀

Richmondmumofthree Tue 31-Jan-17 17:09:58

Waldgrave. Go for it. Private schools appear to come with
Extra bells and whistles and gloss but they don't always deliver
On the academics. On top of that so many kids at private are secretly
Tutored which makes you wonder who is doing
all the good work. Schools teaching or parents
Pay- Packet. If you have a perfectly good state option imagine all you
Could bolster to that with extra curricular yourself outside of school
And disposable income for rest of the family. That's my opinion anyway having seen it front he inside of private preps and then discovering that state and church schools nearby so many kids do better in the end...because the parents can AFFORD all the extra clubs and tutors as they aren't so strapped for cash. Are you expecting a scholarship at SHS or just a place?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now