Talk

Advanced search

A levels

(4 Posts)
Maggiemiller123 Mon 01-Feb-16 13:51:03

Can anybody advise me on where to go to find out about education in Scotland, it looks like we may have to move to Edinburg from England very soon, my daughter is just getting ready to sit her GCSEs once done she wanted to do her A levels, she is in year 11 and was going onto college for 2 years from September. Where would she go to do A levels in Scotland or what is the equivalent please help no idea where to start. Thank you

BackforGood Mon 01-Feb-16 14:44:48

You might want to repost, with 'Scottish Education system' or something in the title, so it attracts people with knowledge of that.
My understanding is that the system is slightly different there and teens don't do A-;eve;s in the same way that English teens do, so a Scottish person might not open this thread as it's not something they are familiar with or that affects them.

slicedfinger Mon 01-Feb-16 15:21:57

The intake year is different in Scotland than England. (Jan - Dec rather than Sept - August). This will have an impact on what year she should theoretically be starting in. Scotland has I think a more flexible approach though, and she should hopefully be able to start in S5 with Highers (similar in theory to AS).

If you are planning on Edinburgh, you also need to think about whether you are looking at private or state, and where you are likely to live. Talk to the secondary schools in that area.

This explains the whole system

This is the SQA website

GinandJag Mon 01-Feb-16 22:18:11

If she wants to stick with the English system, St George's School for Girls would be a good choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now