Talk

Advanced search

Daft questions about y10 maths. Please humour me...

(5 Posts)
CharleyDavidson Sun 31-Jan-16 20:33:15

Because DD1 is having a bit of a wobble about things and I don't know if/how to go about getting involved.

She's in top set maths. They've made a super-set of some pupils and are teaching them 'extra maths'. She doesn't know if this is a GCSE she will have to sit or whether it's just extra. Perhaps it's a briding unit to A level maths. She has no intention of following a route that needs a level maths, so is not happy that she's 'been made to do extra maths without being asked about it or given a choice'. (Her words)

On top of that, she says that she doesn't feel like they are actually learning much because the teacher will set them off on the day's objective and give them practice work, then leave the room and go into the next room to teach (one to one) another pupil that is sometimes in the maths group and sometimes in this separate room. She says that there's quite a bit of favouritism shown to this pupil.

On top of that, a teacher has told her that the GCSE revision timetable for the subjects she is quite passionate about and wants to persue to college, will have to give up some time to accomodate the extra maths.

She knows that she's a bit stuck: she doesn't want to move down a set for fear of what her peers will think, but doesn't want to do the extra maths and is feeling stressed by it all.

If anyone can make any sense of that and offer any insights, I'd be most appreciative.

sashh Mon 01-Feb-16 06:20:53

Is it additional maths? That is a separate GCSE.

How many hours a week are these sessions? What would/could she be doing instead?

She should know what her GCSE subjects are at this stage. It does make sense from the school's point of view to put the top set in for an additional GCSE, it bumps the results and gives the students a better foundation if they do want to carry maths on to A Level.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Mon 01-Feb-16 07:14:26

if she's in Year 10, she'll be doing the new maths exam, won't she? Most of the schools I know of aren't running additional maths GCSEs until they see what the new maths exam consists of, since some of the content might be duplicated. So the sets that had been doing additional maths in previous years, are now just doing the hardest work for the standard GCSE. Maybe that is what she's in? Not that it's 'extra maths' that won't be needed for the exam, but just extra compared to what some of the lower sets are doing (some schools deliberately don't teach all the course content to all the sets). Perhaps that's a way to broach it with her - they are giving her the chance to achieve the best scores in the new exam, which is always going to serve her well whether she carries on with a maths route or not.

The teaching doesn't sound great, though.

CharleyDavidson Mon 01-Feb-16 21:54:12

We're in Wales, in case that makes a difference. They have brought in new options and hers is the first cohort doing it. She chose her three subjects to take in addition to ones that were compulsory.

They did say last year, at parents' evening, that they had to now do a maths GCSE and a maths numeracy GCSE in Wales. That normally, they'd have started her set on additional maths, but weren't going to be able to do that because of the new system of 2 different maths GCSEs. So I'm not sure how they are now doing it, when they said they wouldn't be able to. Perhaps they've found a way to fit it in, but I wasn't aware. And, to be fair, I didn't even know if it was a separate GCSE. I think they've covered all the normal maths stuff and now are using the time to cover the additional maths syllabus. She was told last year that she'd have been able to take her exams then and get an A, so I'm sure they feel that they can do the additional maths stuff. But it's stressing her out as she doesn't know what's standard, what's additional etc.

The message I got from her the other day while she was in school asked if she should buy the revision CD that they were offering 'for the extra maths that I didn't want to take in the first place', so she certainly views it as extra.

I think I will have to make an appointment with the teacher, just for clarification's sake.

CharleyDavidson Mon 01-Feb-16 21:56:15

The WJEC board seems to show a GCSE in maths, another in numeracy as well as a level 2 certificate in additional maths. Perhaps that's what they are doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now