Talk

Advanced search

Reeds , KGS or Tiffin boys...

(16 Posts)
usedagain Sun 31-Jan-16 18:38:27

Ok so the last isn't a definite but DS was way over the 118 cut of score in the first test ...

We have offers from both the others ...

Am paralysed with indecision ... We live in Kingston ...but the bus for Reeds goes from very close to home ...

Tunis92 Sun 31-Jan-16 18:54:51

Confused - KGS haven't made offers yet...

MissCalleneous Sun 31-Jan-16 19:41:49

KGS offers for boys to be posted 11 Feb but maybe OP is certain of a likely place due to DS sitting scholarship exam?

I know little of Reeds other than its quite sporty and (I thought?) not as academic.

The KGS v Tiffin question is an interesting one as it depends on what extra you are paying for with KGS (better pastoral care? More activities? Smaller class size?). It may be horses for courses depending on the individual DS and their needs.

lilybetsy Sun 31-Jan-16 19:57:16

DS has a 10+ place already...at KGS

Tumfy Sun 31-Jan-16 21:46:00

Are you likely to take Tiffin over Reeds/KGS?
I thought 10+ have to reject KGS by 12 February or lose deposit and that's well before Tiffin results come out.
Gut feeling is what most advise when nothing else helps, so try imagining that you have given up each school & see how you feel?

harlowcar Mon 01-Feb-16 08:17:41

Ok you asked for opinions....here's mine, with the caveat that I'm an anonymous poster on a site and don't know you or your child. You live in Kingston, why subject your son to a coach journey twice a day? Secondly if your son is involved in any after school activities you will probably be driving to pick him up. Thirdly, if he lives in Kingston and goes to KGS then he will be close to his friends which means less driving for you at weekends/school holidays. KGS is a great school (although I didn't apply for my children so have drum to beat). Tiffins - our prep school head wonders where is the added value - their intake is the cream of the crop, but their results are not as good as one would expect. It's free - big plus point....but with all those boys working so hard, is there much of a social life (really don't know, just wondering) I suspect not a lot of fun is had there.

ladygrinningsoul Mon 01-Feb-16 09:51:22

Which of the schools does your son prefer/feel more at home in? Reeds and KGS are quite different from each other. What about subject choices later? (for instance, Mandarin at KGS, STEM subjects at Reeds)

Waitingandhoping2015 Mon 01-Feb-16 09:58:02

Tiffins - never liked it much for various reasons, but if cost is at all an issue then I would opt for it. Weak at sports - "perennial losers", poor quality cricket pitches. Sports fields mainly a bus ride away.

KGS - never liked it that much, mainly the claustrophobic environment, the lack of facilities in certain sports (football and cricket), one comment made by a pupil on the tour "all the First Years just spend break crowded around the vending machine", and the fact that you have to travel to the sports fields.

Reeds - as sporty as the rest really, but does like to cater for some top sportsmen such as the tennis players. Academic enough for anyone, and getting more so. New cricket centre being built. Everything on hand, sports fields etc. Smaller intake than others which might suit. Easy train journey home if necessary from Oxshott, many boys walk through the woods to get the train. Bus goes home late anyway, post the after school activities.

Those are all personal views and how they affected our choice!

cakeisalwaystheanswer Mon 01-Feb-16 10:10:00

If you sat Tiffin money is an issue and I can't imagine that KGS offers anything that Tiffin doesn't, similar sites etc. They used to share lessons for some A levels so why would you pay £20k a year to have your DS sit next to someone paying nothing?
Reeds is more of a traditional boys school and will offer an awful lot of sports and extra curricular stuff, hence the long day and the late bus ride home. Most prep school boys will take Reeds in preference to KGS because of all the extras it offers. If your DS is going to take advantage of all this it would be worth it particularly as if he is bright enough for Tiffin I expect he would receive a decent discount/scholarship at Reeds so you are unlikely to be paying anywhere near full fees. If he isn't going to do any extra stuff, Tiffin.

lilybetsy Mon 01-Feb-16 10:42:27

I think we have till March 7th to make a decision. We paid the 'deposit' for KGS last year ( after the 10+ offer) and my understanding was that we could pull out before March 7th and get this back - I HOPE i am right!

I do take the point re the bus ride. But i like the idea that after school there are sports / activities/ homework etc and then the kids come back on the bus at 5.30. My elder two - at state schools, have far far too much "free time" (in my opinion)

I have my reservations about Tiffins for lots of reasons. We did not over coach DS at all, one session with a tutor a week - group of 20 ish - and very little in between. I know this is not the norm and I worry that academic achievement is valued above anything else at all, that he wont 'fit in'. that his musical, arty creative side will be stifled.

And its big and the pastoral support is limited. he hasn't needed that yet - but you never know.

Reeds is small, I like that, and the facilities are wonderful. But it is far away and friends far away may become an issues.

The cost is always an issue. always. but not the first issue

Waitingandhoping2015 Mon 01-Feb-16 10:53:13

What about the sports side, how much does this matter to DS?

Tiffins are the perennial losers at sports and although there are limited facilities at school you do have the trip to the playing fields - which are also not kept as well as others (eg KGS) due to more limited resources. At KGS you have the same, and they have even had to rent a proper sports hall for winter cricket nets offsite - last year it was Hinchley Wood school and this year Grey Court (may suit :-) ) and has been Claremont in the past. For the longer more fulfilled day you can't beat Reeds out of these 3.

chickindude Mon 01-Feb-16 11:01:54

Just surprised you chose Reeds over Hampton if you live in Kingston
Hampton is as good for sport yet more academic than Reeds ( and s bit cheaper too)

Abracadabra10 Mon 01-Feb-16 11:28:16

I think it comes down to the "feel" of the individual schools - personally, the longer, boarding- style day at Reeds would be exactly the thing to put me off, but sounds as if it would suit you. Reeds get about 66 per cent A star/A at GCSE, where it's more like 80 per cent at the other two schools, so sports on site would have to be really important (unless you get a scholarship to Reeds of course)! As the poster above asked - would Hampton not have fitted the bill? All the sports/ activities, coaches and best results of all?

lilybetsy Mon 01-Feb-16 11:39:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cakeisalwaystheanswer Mon 01-Feb-16 12:14:14

OP you have given some very specific and unique information about your family which makes you easily identifiable in RL. It may be best to ask MN to delete this thread.

Pop2 Sat 07-Jan-17 21:14:35

OP-which school did you choose?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now