Talk

Advanced search

do you think I will be granted permission to take ds out of school to see grandparents ?

(13 Posts)
ggirl Thu 28-Jan-16 21:01:29

He's yr 8
They live in Canada
I have no annual leave in half term .
He hasn't seen them in 3 yrs.
They are v old.

Sounds like sob story but ..do you think it may be granted ?

AuditAngel Thu 28-Jan-16 21:04:12

No, unless one of them is actually giving a medical crisis, in which case a sympathetic head may grant leave, but I doubt it.

Ginmakesitallok Thu 28-Jan-16 21:07:11

Our school would- I think. You might need a letter from your employer confirming the no leave thing.

On a similar note, I need to take mine out for a day to go to my brothers wedding. If they say no then they'll be going anyway.

ggirl Thu 28-Jan-16 21:08:19

well the medical problems are increasing all the time at their age but not on their death beds

so does that mean a fine?

Have no clue..havent taken him out of school for yrs

Wolfiefan Thu 28-Jan-16 21:08:43

Unlikely I'd say. Book and accept you may have to pay the fine. Or go another year.
But no one here knows really.

ggirl Thu 28-Jan-16 21:09:08

tis a week off i want

Wolfiefan Thu 28-Jan-16 21:09:27

X post.
Unlikely you would get permission.
Either it's important enough to you to go fine or not. Or it isn't.

ggirl Thu 28-Jan-16 21:10:09

yeh ..will have to face the fine i guess

TheLesserSpottedBee Fri 29-Jan-16 07:24:17

Leeds Council will fine you for 5 days but not 4 1/2.

This came in the leaflet along with the fine because I took mine out for 6 days (the week after year 6 SATs which was also the last week of term, and had a 2 week holiday to USA)

Fine was £60 per child per parent so £240.

Could you do it over a half term to take them out for less than 5 days?

ifonly4 Fri 29-Jan-16 09:59:20

I was told before my DD started comp that they automatically refuse all requests for time off, other than medical or funeral. I've known two friends to be refused but they've taken theirs out of school with no consequences, but that was for 3 and 4 days. Do you have a couple of inset days together any time this year, that way at least it's two days less out.

If you're going to do it, do it in the next 18 months. DD loves Year 10 but workload is heavy and they're expected to catch up on everything missed, so easier to do it now.

bojorojo Fri 29-Jan-16 14:29:16

What about Easter or May bank holiday? Does it have to be now? In the middle of winter?

ridinghighinapril Fri 29-Jan-16 15:13:13

I think it's a valid reason to take them out - why wait until they are on their deathbeds, better to have a good memory of seeing their grandparents and also nice for the grandparents, too.
However, I understand a line needs to be drawn somewhere about when it is acceptable to miss school.
Will the school allow it? I have no idea. Personally, I would take them - it's yr8, so no GCSEs etc - and accept with the fine or warning.

ggirl Fri 29-Jan-16 17:42:44

well turns out ...I spoke to ds and he is not keen on missing school ..which should probably translate as not keen on a week without xbox and with old age pensioners angry
so my dd is going to go ..she is adult , I will prob cough up the money to go in the summer when I do have time off at same time as ds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now