Y12 Work Experience

(17 Posts)
simbobs Mon 25-Jan-16 20:17:56

My Y12 DD has to find 1 or even 2 work placements in her chosen career field to undertake in the summer; they have to be submitted to school by Easter, and have to be with companies with Public Liability Insurance. The truble is that she has no idea what she wants to do, and as the school are emphasizing the importance of this for uni entry they are even putting her off wanting to go. She feels under duress and I want to tell them to back off. She has plenty of quality things to put on a uni application. Is our experience typical? How important is it really?

mouldycheesefan Mon 25-Jan-16 21:12:53

I think some experience of the world of work is very useful. I used to take kids on work experience and used to tell them, it doesn't matter whether this is the job you want to do or not, what's important is to experience the world of work which as we all know is a million miles from school.
If she doesn't know what she wants to do, this is a great opportunity for her to try something out,all the more reason to do it in my opinion.
I would imagine it would have uni relevance only for some courses. I did mine in journalism and had I wanted to go into that for a career, I at least would have had something to talk about at uni interviews.

GasLightShining Mon 25-Jan-16 22:12:43

What subjects is she studying? And what course is she looking at doing at uni?

simbobs Mon 25-Jan-16 22:16:15

I do appreciate that, but they already do work experience in Y10 relating to experience in the world of work. This time they do it for 2 weeks and are urged to look for experience relevant to their chosen career. We live in a fairly rural location and her ability to go anywhere meaningful is limited. It is the pressure that she is being put under that I resent. She has had mental health issues this year and this isn't helping. I would be quite happy for her to work in a shop for a couple of weeks but that doesn't seem to be what is wanted. I would be interested to know what others have done in this situation. We have no one who could offer her a position.

simbobs Mon 25-Jan-16 22:17:52

She is doing arty/linguistic things and isn't yet sure what she wants to study at uni. Possibly one of her current subjects but potentially something related.

mouldycheesefan Tue 26-Jan-16 08:48:47

I think if her mental health isn't strong enough to cope with applying for work experience then she will find the uni application process very difficult to manage. You need to help her, for example help her draft a letter and make a list of 50 places to send it. You may need to help her arrange transport. Saying it's too pressurised and she doesn't need to do it probably is unhelpful when everyone else from school is off doing theirs and sends the wrong message.
Work experience in a shop would be better than nothing.
Try art galleries, museums, artists, art supply stores, garden centres, language schools, translation services, theatres, etc etc. try also local shops and businesses.
I don't think you should opt out.
We have relatives that live rurally their dd did hers at the blacksmiths!

mouldycheesefan Tue 26-Jan-16 08:49:35

Local priMary school may also be an option particularly of its the one she attended.

dingit Tue 26-Jan-16 09:06:52

I hear you.
Dd has to do the same, and it's all very stressful on top of studying. Luckily she has a vague idea of what she want to do, so we are just trying to finalise the details, forms etc. This time she will be commuting to the big smoke to a large company ( hopefully)
I second the primary school idea. Dd did this in year10, and ds is doing it this year. Stress free, across the road for us, and he knows a lot of the staff.

simbobs Tue 26-Jan-16 09:07:27

Already did that last time round... To take the stress off her while we come up with something I told her to say she wants to be an undertaker. Only half kidding. I think it would suit her well!

mouldycheesefan Tue 26-Jan-16 09:14:27

Well doing the same thing again is better than doing nothing, if she is too stressed to find something else then going back to an environment she is comfortable in may be a good option. Have that as a fallback in case you can't find something she would prefer. That may take the pressure off.

simbobs Tue 26-Jan-16 09:22:33

I'll have another chat about it with her tonight. I'm more worried that they are making her feel that her chances of getting a uni place are dependent on such things, when actually she has done lots of charity work that will stand her in good stead. Anyone have anything to contribute about what importance is placed on the work placement? Do all schools do it in Y12?

kjwh Tue 26-Jan-16 09:53:20

Concentrate on the larger businesses/employers who already have staff rather than small shops etc that may not. The reason being that the schools usually want a whole host of paperwork about the workplace, such as insurance documents, H&S evaluations, DDA evaluations, employee handbooks, water safety and asbestos inspection reports, etc. The smallest businesses may not have these, so even if she finds a placement in a local shop, the school may veto it if they won't jump through the required hoops to provide the paperwork, policies and statements the school needs to tick their boxes!

I know this from bitter experience. A local school teacher contacted me to ask if I'd provide work experience placements, which I readily agreed to do. Everyone was happy, student lined up to come, but then the school's administrators sent the paperwork for me to complete - literally dozens of pages thick which would have taken hours to do. I phoned them to ask how much of it was necessary, such as the DDA evaluation and asbestos survey, which I simply didn't have, and they told me it was essential and that I wouldn't be able to proceed without the full form being completed with copies of all relevant documents required. When I phoned the teacher to say I couldn't do it, she was livid with their administrators!

A larger business that already has staff, would (should) have all the paperwork in place and if they have admin staff themselves, filling in such a horrendous form is at least delegated rather the the business owner having to do it!

simbobs Tue 26-Jan-16 10:53:44

I know about the paperwork side as I have just sent a sheaf away to the company providing a placement for my Y10 DS. We are still a bit limited by location. I would consider sending her somewhere if I had trusted friends in the area, but this still needs some thought.

GasLightShining Tue 26-Jan-16 23:29:38

Do you work simbobs? Could she do placement where you work or nearby. I second the school idea - doesn't matter if she's done it before.

Not sure how wonderful it will look on her uni application. I thinks it would be more important to have a more regular volunteering role and a perhaps a job either of which if possibly are related to the subject she wants to study.

simbobs Wed 27-Jan-16 16:36:13

Thanks for all your comments. I am not suggesting for a moment that she will not do work experience, more that the "chosen career field" is hard for an able student who does not know what she wants to be when he grows up (still working on that one myself). Coming to work with me wouldn't be possible, I just hope that school realises how much of an ask some of their suggestions are. Still working on it...

Leeds2 Wed 27-Jan-16 16:48:05

If it is of any comfort, my DD has just received 4 offers from her chosen UK universities (she withdrew from the 5th) without mentioning any work experience at all! She had done four days, but there wasn't room on the UCAS form for her to mention it.

I do know from friends' DC that certain degrees, such as medicine and vet science, require various forms of work experience but it isn't true for all degree subjects.

Our local library takes students, so that might be worth a try if it interests her. Or some sort of animal rescue centre.

OzzieFem Fri 29-Jan-16 09:32:36

If you have a local hospital your daughter could also apply there for work placement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now