Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When are Secondary Applications done?

(7 Posts)
Tamirwen Sat 23-Jan-16 17:31:57

Having a brain freeze. Child born Spring of 2009, so currently in Year 2. Will start Year 3 in September 2016 and if I'm counting properly, start Year 6 in September 2019 and Year 7 in Sep 2020.

When do the applications get sent and filled in each year? I think I've found it's sent in September and the deadline's October, places offered in the March. Is this right? And then which year is that - whilst they're in Year 5 or 6?

Thanks. Numbers all over smile

prh47bridge Sat 23-Jan-16 17:36:06

You apply when your child is in Y6, i.e. the final year of primary school. When applications open varies from LA to LA but the closing date is 31st October with offers being made 1st March.

TeenAndTween Sat 23-Jan-16 17:41:17

While you're asking, some other info useful to know up front:

School open evenings tend to be at the end of the summer term or Sept / early.

If you are clueless about secondaries (like I was with DD1), useful to go a year early i.e. end y4/start y5 to help you get your head round it.

Some grammar areas people start tutoring early (y4?)

hornetgirl Sat 23-Jan-16 17:46:50

Some applications for grammar and 11plus need to be in by June of year five.

meditrina Sat 23-Jan-16 17:58:24

If you live in a grammar area, or may be considering partially selective schools, then check exam dates as they will be early on so you still have plenty of time to apply once scores are known.

If a school you like school has a fair banding test, remember to make a note of its date as it will seriously muck up your application (for that school) if you miss it.

PettsWoodParadise Sat 23-Jan-16 18:43:27

Most LAs have a 'moving onto secondary' booklet on their website which usually have timelines for applications, distance cut offs for schools in recent years etc.

BackforGood Sun 24-Jan-16 00:30:56

If you have a realistic choice of more than 2 schools, it's worth looking round at the start of Yr5 rather than leaving it all to Yr6, as they tend to all be held together in the same fortnight at the end of September and it can be very hectic if you have work / other dc / aren't feeling well / activities to get to, etc.
In our authority, all the dc are sent home with the information in July of Yr5, and it all happens at the start of Yr6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now