We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Kingston English interview

(12 Posts)
Tunis92 Tue 19-Jan-16 10:41:31

has anyone else had experience of a subject specific interview at KGS? I would appreciate any info about what might be involved?

Horace123 Tue 19-Jan-16 11:57:18

My DS had a general interview at KGS last year which was fairly standard - favourite subjects, book he'd enjoyed, why did he want to go to KGS. One of his friends had an English interview - he was given the same passage to read as the one in the test. He was then asked questions about the passage (not the same questions as the ones in the test - more a discussion to see if he'd understood it). I don't know if all English interviews are like that but it may be worth seeing if your DC can remember which book the comprehension was based on? Good luck.

cakeisalwaystheanswer Tue 19-Jan-16 11:58:07

50% of KGS pupils only got B or below for English language last year, I would be giving them an English interview.

MaeMobley Tue 19-Jan-16 19:13:33

Cake, is that at GCSE?

cakeisalwaystheanswer Tue 19-Jan-16 19:30:53

Yes.

Abraid2 Tue 19-Jan-16 19:40:39

They were perhaps sitting the Cambridge IGCSE eng Lang 0500, which had weird results across a lot of schools, my child's included.

cakeisalwaystheanswer Tue 19-Jan-16 19:46:32

KCS sit that exam out of 149, 122 got A*, 24As and 3 boys got a B. They charge similar fees and their results look pretty solid.

MaeMobley Tue 19-Jan-16 20:06:12

yes but KCS is much harder to get into.

redlemons Tue 19-Jan-16 20:07:41

Cake - I think comparing KGS and KCS results like this is a little unfair. KCS is much harder to get into and based on their intake you would certainly expect better results across the board. Re. the fees, most of these schools have similar fees, in fact KCS is more expensive once you reach the Senior School.

cakeisalwaystheanswer Tue 19-Jan-16 22:08:36

I am not comparing, all I am saying is that KCS didn't have a problem with the CIE 0500 paper last year as they had 85% A* across the board and the Eng Lang results look about there. I don't even know if that is the paper that KGS took but it was suggested as an excuse up thread. What I do know is a couple of not very happy KGS parents and some very smug state school parents with DCs the same age!

TeddTess Wed 20-Jan-16 13:48:36

anyway back to the OP

he's probably borderline on the english paper
they'll ask him to read the passage from the exam and chat to him about it
they'll ask him what book he's reading at the moment
they may ask him about films, TV, books he likes
no tricks.

good luck!

Tunis92 Wed 20-Jan-16 17:18:33

Thanks for the feedback... DC much happier talking than writing, so hopefully he will enjoy it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now