GCSE choices for being a graphic designer

(8 Posts)
Marmitelover55 Fri 15-Jan-16 23:58:54

DD1 is in year 9 and choosing her options. She is very creative and quite bright and is currently interested in being a graphic designer. I am keen for her to keep her options open at this stage, but also want to ensure she makes the right choices if she dies want to do graphic design.

She will be doing 2 Englishes, maths, triple science, geography, Spanish and art and design. She has one more choice and is considering ICT (not computing), drama, business studies and music. She does drama out of school and recently got a distinction for grade 3 flute. I think she is most keen on ICT, which I assume could be useful for graphic design. Does this seem a sensible choice? Thanks.

antimatter Sat 16-Jan-16 00:05:04

Graphic design can be very srty or vety much like computer science with Art.

Lrt her choise wgat she likes most do that shd gets good marks in her gcse's.

Then whrn choosing A levels she will know if she wantd to tske Maths and take programming route or spply for Art college.

By all means don't discourage her but she may change her minds several times before she spplies for uni in under 4 years time.

catslife Sat 16-Jan-16 14:10:34

Y11 dd is applying for sixth forms with a similar goal in mind.
Planning on taking A levels in Graphic communication (part of Art) and level 3 ICT or alternatively BTEC diploma in Graphic Design.
Apart from GCSEs in Maths, English and Science they require a creative subject such as Art or DT (Graphics or Product Design). Although ICT isn't essential: a knowledge of computer packages such as photoshop and illustrator / design or graphics software is useful (but it may be possible to do this as part of Art). DT involves using 2 and 3d design packages as well.

Marmitelover55 Sat 16-Jan-16 14:58:00

DD's school don't do DT but offer two art GCSEs - fine art and textiles or art and design which seems to be more 3D type work - she is hoping to do the latter.

I'm aware art is alot of work and was hoping ICT would be a lighter workload - don't know if this is the case or not?

catslife Sat 16-Jan-16 16:00:43

Which ICT course will your dd be taking?
My dd is taking ICT (Edexcel) and it hasn't been a particularly heavy workload. She has managed to complete nearly all the work either in lesson time or in the computer room at school during lunch break.
Hope that helps

IguanaTail Sat 16-Jan-16 16:06:16

Your daughter will be sitting the last ICT GCSE before it is disbanded in that case. It is a very easy GCSE because it's just building up a bank of evidence. That's the plus side. The minus side is therefore that people may think it's a bit of a doss and therefore worthless.

catslife Sat 16-Jan-16 16:30:55

Iguana dds ICT is a level 2 course (equivalent to GCSE) and there is both an exam and a coursework portfolio to complete.
Would suggest the OP checks the course offered by the school carefully to check what is involved, whether her dd would enjoy it and whether it is relevant to her aims for the future.

Marmitelover55 Sat 16-Jan-16 17:09:34

I'm iut at the minute but will check which board when I get home. It would be her 10th GCSE so maybe not that important if it considered easy - maybe a good chance to get a high mark though. The ICT teacher said it would be about designing brand, website etc for a business so sounded quite good for graphic designer maybe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now